Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Unkown Soldiers Graves listed by regiment?

jaykayu

Hello

I have searched the forums for this but with no luck - apologies if it’s already a topic listed in another way.

Does anyone know of a list of unknown soldiers graves by regiment by cemetery please?

E.g. I know that Epehy Wood Farm Cemetery contains 2 graves of unknown soldiers of the Great War from the Royal Munster Fusiliers, but I only know this after visiting it and I wasn’t able to find this out beforehand.

Has a list or registry been compiled of unknown soldiers graves where the regiment has been known and where they are?

(Royal Munster Fusiliers is my regiment of interest)

Many thanks

J

I don't know but I suspect that a CWGC search on an individual cemetery with the soldier's name as UNKNOWN may give the result you require. On my 'phone at the moment otherwise I would give it a go.

Hope this helps.

Nigel

• Admin

The CWGC website doesn't list Unknowns when you search a cemetery. They will have records so they know what to inscribe when headstones are replaced but I don't know if that will require a search of each cemetery or whether it is recorded separately.

J

I have complete registers of the 182 Cemeteries on the Somme that I am studying. If the whereabouts of unidentified Royal Munster Fusiliers in this small subset of the total number of cemeteries is of genuine interest then I can provide. If a list would be looked at once and never used again then it would not justify the effort to produce it. If you do want a list I would want to know the detail you require, for example do you want to know that there are 3 in A.I.F. Burial ground Grass Lane or do you wish to know that they are in I. M. 28, VIII. D. 7 and XVI. M. 10.

Peter

J

Forget my earlier reservations re the work to be done as I have found the spreadsheet that I made earlier with 22823 lines that lists all the unknowns identified by regiment. There are 66 Munsters in 16 cemeteries.

When you have more than 5 (I think) posts you can PM your email address and I can send you the Munster section of the spreadsheet.

Peter

Thank you everybody for the prompt replies, and thank you Peter for your kind offer. I will try a PM now and if necessary after more posts.

Regards

J

The original 1920s/30s printed Cemetery Registers would note specific Unknowns, but this detail has not been transferred to the digitised information found on the CWGC website.

I was looking for Unknown burials from a particular vessel sunk in the Irish Sea, and got 2 of them from the old printed register for Caernarfonshire. Sadly, a direct enquiry to CWGC as to where others might be led to a nil result - they couldn't easily provide the information (most of the known fatalities were buried on the Isle of Man).

If you live close to a major reference library or somewhere like the IWM London, there are bound sets of registers in Country and numerical order of cemeteries, which can be consulted.

Clive

John

You are right it is not possible to obtain this information from CWGC records. I am researching the history of the Cemeteries on the Somme that contain the burials from the 1916 battle. As a first step I have photographed, in overlapping groups, every headstone in 182 cemeteries. I then make up a register which includes the information on every stone. It is then easy but time consuming to make a spread sheet of every unknown who is partially identified by regiment. As said above there are 22823 lines to that sheet. My figures include all those buried in the 182 cemeteries even if they died outside the dates of the battle of the Somme.

Peter