Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Australian Divisions - Which Battalions?

Ken Lees

Does anyone have a list of which battalions constituted each of the five Australian Divisions?

Also, is there a chart anywhere on-line showing the colour patches for the Australian battalions?

I have seen a chart on the wall at the Victoria School at Villers Bretonneux which gives all this information, but I haven't seen it anywhere else.

• Admin

Ken

There is a similar panel in the new school at Fromelles showing the patches for 5th Division. Short of going through each battalion here I'm not sure of a site listing all the patches but there must be one out there somewhere. There is a sample of Bde and Bn patches on Digger History http://www.diggerhistory.info/images/badges-asstd/ww1-patch.jpg

Here is a simple orbat http://www.warpath.orbat.com/anzac/aus-div-index.htm

Glen

post-32914-0-82349900-1398017252_thumb.j

Thanks for the replies.

I will use this for a start, then I think I may photograph the chart on the wall at the Victoria School and re-draw it for future reference.

Thanks again,

Ken

Ken, if you want to drop me a PM with an e-mail, I have the 1980's reprint of the Australian OH, Vol III, which has colour plates with all the information you require. I'm more than happy to photograph them (tomorrow, probably) and send them to you.

Thanks Broomers, I will look at the download first.

Could you tell me which Chapter to look in for the information?

Cheers

It's an Appendix to Vol III (which is the first volume dealing with France & Flanders).

Edit: looking at the download, I don't think it's there. It appears between "The Light Cars at Sollum" and the Index, but the download seems not to have it (if you look at the Contents you will see it's listed, but the download list omits it).

Edited by Steven Broomfield

Check this poster out, it gives you all the information you want http://www.diggerhistory.info/images/posters/greatwar.jpg . The source site gives loads of information too http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-badges/patches/0-cat-index-col_patch.htm.

Hi Ken,

This is from Bean:

post-66620-0-08981700-1398039777_thumb.j

Hello Ken

IIRC there is also a display of all the Australian unit badges at the new memorial at Le Hamel (site of the action on 4 July 1918).

Ron

I have been there three times this week and haven't seen it there. Do you mean in the village square, or at the Australian Corps Memorial?

Hope you don't mind a polite hi-jack of this thread but my Grandfather was in the 24th Battalion AIF (red and white diamond) and I was expecting this to show on his uniform but a photo I have of him (copy attached) shows a differing insignia. Am I guilty of confusing the two?

Thanks in advance for any views.

Cheers,

Andy.

post-72598-0-89564800-1398198368_thumb.j

I have been there three times this week and haven't seen it there. Do you mean in the village square, or at the Australian Corps Memorial?

I meant at the new memorial. They were there originally, on the tops of the semicurcular bench-type structures around the centrepiece, but I had a sneaking feeling they had gone when I was last there.

Ron

That looks like the Australian Flying Corps patch Andy. Was your grandfather always in the 24th Battalion?

Ah. you've cracked it Andrew. He was indeed in the AFC based at Leighterton (transferred, I presume, from the 24th). I've obviously taken the photo to be AIF rather than the time he was in the AFC.

Many. many thanks :thumbsup:

Andy.