Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Seeking information on Home Office WWI Memorial Names

RCB

Mick

Even the later version misses a lot of my later updates. If you remember, we were never actually granted any funding but were reliant on communications to allow us a pittance from their budget to upkeep a site and as for any research, the group paid for that out of their own pockets.

Alan

RCB

Almost half of the list of names are Officers and they will likely have service records surviving in either of the two series at the National Archives,WO339 and WO374.

Mick

Even the later version misses a lot of my later updates. If you remember, we were never actually granted any funding but were reliant on communications to allow us a pittance from their budget to upkeep a site and as for any research, the group paid for that out of their own pockets.

Alan

I do indeed remember, Alan, and can only hope that the Home Office team is better resourced and supported.

• 7 months later...

Hi - I have a good deal of info on CSM Samuel Henry Lomas.

In fact, I've written a book on him - well, half a book.

Last October, my book was published, titled "The 1916 Diaries - of an Irish Rebel and an English Soldier".

It used the unpublished diaries of an Irish Volunteer and a Sherwood Forester who fought in Dublin during the Easter Rebellion of 1916.

The Sherwood Forester was Lomas, and my book includes a complete transcription of his diary from the War Museum, dealing with his service in Dublin.

Here's an extract from the book:

"Samuel Henry Lomas was born in November 1879 in the village of Tideswell, in Derbyshire England, into the family of a coal agent and his wife and three daughters.

"In the 1891 census, the 11-year-old Lomas was living with his family on Church Street, and by the 1911 census, the now 31-year-old was a quarry foreman, living in nearby Bakewell, with his wife of six years, Sarah Ann, and 2-year-old son William. In May 1913 Lomas was listed in The London Gazette, having been appointed a Sub-Inspector of Quarries, and a year later, he was listed again, now appointed an Inspector of Factories and Workshops.

"It was Lomas’s service in Dublin which gained him his final mention in The London Gazette – he was listed for having being awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal: 'For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He erected barricades under very heavy fire and set a splendid example throughout.' "

He also participated in some of the executions of the rebel leaders.

I used as much info as I could find, but I obviously missed some facts, since I didn't know he was named on the Home Office WWI memorial !

Although the book is already in print, I'd be interested to hear any more about CSM Lomas from yourself or MikeBriggs, so would be happy to swap info!

I'd hope to include any additional info in future reprints (if it sells out!).

He did history (and us all) a big favour by leaving his diary behind, and so I'd really like to include as much of his story as possible.

Cheers

Mick

Mick O'Farrell

Alexander Peggie stayed in my street in Newtongrange.

For the Dardanelles

Private Alexander Peggie, of the London Sharpshooters, who has been stationed in the South of Ireland with his company for several months, arrived on a few days furlough at his home , 38 The Square, on Saturday night. Private Peggie is in excellent fettle and leaves today for the Dardanelles, where he hopes to take a more active part in the operations than he has hither to done.

• 4 years later...

Lieutenant Colonel Charles Lawson ROBINSON TD

Monmouthshire Regiment

1st Battalion

The son of Robert Robinson of Howlish Hall, Bishop Auckland, County Durham. A Colliery Viewer, he was Initiated into Wear Valley Masonic Lodge No 1121, Province of Durham on the 8th May 1896; Passed 10th July 1896 and Raised on the 9th October 1896, resigning in September 1899.  He was a Joining Member of Isca  Masonic Lodge No 683, Province of Monmouthshire on the 19th May 1898 when his occupation was given as a Mine Inspector resigning on 1st November 1910.  He had previously served in the South African War.  He was appointed HM Assistant Inspector of Mines (London Gazette 23rd October 1896) & Inspector of Metalliferous Mines Regulation Act, Quarries Act and Inspector of Factories and Work Act (London Gazette 27th October 1896). He was killed in action on the 8th May 1915 aged 45.  He is Remembered on the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, West Vlaanderen, Belgium, Panel 50. His name appears on a Memorial in St. John’s Church, Maindee, Newport and on a Memorial to the Monmouthshire Regiment 1st Battalion at the Cheltenham War Memorial.

Bancourt

On ‎17‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 11:46, Bancourt said:

His name appears on a Memorial in St. John’s Church, Maindee, Newport and on a Memorial to the Monmouthshire Regiment 1st Battalion at the Cheltenham War Memorial.

The memorial to the 1st Battalion is at St Woolos, it would make sense as the cathedral is only up the hill from the Battalion HQ drill hall. GL Robertson is named there.

Is there a further memorial at St Johns? Also the Cheltenham war memorial appears to have a dedicated panel to the Gloucester Regiment not the Monmouth regiment with a GE Robertson listed not GL. 

Can you please confirm is there a further memorial at St Johns and where is there a memorial to the Monmouth Regiment in Gloucestershire?