Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

H.G.Section 2nd Vol Batt East Yorkshire

Khaki

2nd Vol Bn would be pre the 1908 Haldane reforms that created the Territorial Force. The 1st VB 2nd VB East Yorks became the 4th and 5th Bns (TF) in 1908.

2nd VB existed in the following forms:

1859-1860: Formed at Hull absorbed into 1st Corps in 1860

1860-1908: HQ at Beverley (1st Admin Bn) Consolidated in 1880 as 2nd Corps with companies in Howden, Bridlington, Beverley, Driffield, Market Weighton and Pocklington. Redesignated 2nd VB East Yorks in 1883 and transferred to the TF in 1908 forming half of the 5th Bn East Yorks Regt

The Volunteers became TF battalions in 1908 with very few exceptions. From memory only the Isle of Man and Isle of Wight and Jersey and Guernsey were excepted as the governing law only applied to the mainland. Consequently there were anomalies such as the Isle of Wight Rifles within the structure of the TF.

Is HG Section a mistranscription of HQ Section or MG section?

MG

Hi Khaki,

Have you got any idea of the year? or any other information.

I suspect Hotchkiss Gun Section formed by Lt A Lindsey.

Regards Charles

post-7376-0-19322800-1397843711_thumb.jp

Gentlemen - Hotchkiss Gun Sections were formed as part of the Volunteer Force in 1916 and were still there as part of the 'new' Volunteer Battalions in July 1918.

Attached - H.Q. Coy, 3rd V.B., N.F. - 1918

Thanks Guys, excellent information,

Charles you are 'right on the money' with the Hotchkiss section, the date you requested is 1918, I hadn't thought of Hotchkiss = H.G.Section, well done.

khaki

ps., is anything much known about the Lieut,

attachicon.gifHQ, 'A' Coy, 3rd V.B.,N.F. 1918.jpg

Gentlemen - Hotchkiss Gun Sections were formed as part of the Volunteer Force in 1916 and were still there as part of the 'new' Volunteer Battalions in July 1918.

Attached - H.Q. Coy, 3rd V.B., N.F. - 1918

I had always thought they were the Volunteer Force. You learn something new every day. Very interesting. MG

I had always thought they were the Volunteer Force. You learn something new every day. Very interesting. MG

It's a common problem, as many people do think there was only 'one' Volunteer Force, but the title, with almost the same terms and conditions of service as the 'old' Volunteer Force, was resurrected in 1916, when all of the UK's Volunteer Training Corps units were officially recognised by the War Office and became part of the new 'Volunteer Force'. Again administration locally was handed over to County T.F.A.'s and in mid-1918 their services were recognised with the re-use of County Regimental titles or Volunteer Corps titles. For instance;-

1st Bn, Durham County Volunteer Regiment would become 1st V.B., Durham L.I.

Northumberland Artillery Volunteers would become Northumberland Royal Garrison Artillery Volunteers and so on.

For a better understanding of the system try and get hold of Ray Westlakes - "The Volunteer List - 1918", which lists all of the units involved and their officers by unit. Sadly there appears to be no such list covering the units prior to the change mid-1918, although I do have a comprehensive list from the old War Office Library, which list's the titles prior to conversion, as there were many amalgamations among smaller units in the County Volunteer Regiments.

It's a common problem, as many people do think there was only 'one' Volunteer Force, but the title, with almost the same terms and conditions of service as the 'old' Volunteer Force, was resurrected in 1916, when all of the UK's Volunteer Training Corps units were officially recognised by the War Office and became part of the new 'Volunteer Force'. Again administration locally was handed over to County T.F.A.'s and in mid-1918 their services were recognised with the re-use of County Regimental titles or Volunteer Corps titles. For instance;-

1st Bn, Durham County Volunteer Regiment would become 1st V.B., Durham L.I.

Northumberland Artillery Volunteers would become Northumberland Royal Garrison Artillery Volunteers and so on.

For a better understanding of the system try and get hold of Ray Westlakes - "The Volunteer List - 1918", which lists all of the units involved and their officers by unit. Sadly there appears to be no such list covering the units prior to the change mid-1918, although I do have a comprehensive list from the old War Office Library, which list's the titles prior to conversion, as there were many amalgamations among smaller units in the County Volunteer Regiments.

As a collector of blue cloth helmet plates from the Victorian and Edwardian period (including VBs) I was very steeped in the history of the Rifle Volunteers and then formation of the VBs from around 1881 and their disappearance in 1908 on the formation of the TF..... Kipling and King's section of the Volunteer Force does discuss the formation of VBs in the Great War but there is no mention of VB in the chapter title.... I should have known better. Note to self. On closer inspection Kipling and King give the following dates; that the Volunteer Training Corps became the Volunteer Force on 19th April 1916 and subsequently the Country Volunteer Regiments were made Volunteer Battalions of Line Regiments in July 1918 (with the exception of City and County of London Regiments). The section is not particularly well written.

Anyway, an interesting expansion. I shall try and trace Westlake's book.

MG