Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Researching Sapper 21133 Ernest Mather 23rd Field Company Royal Engine

BrianR

Ernest enlisted in Warrington on 6th,February 1911 at the age of 18 and I understand was part of the 1st Division that went to France at the outbreak of war,reaching France and fighting at the Battle of Mons on 23rd,August 1914, He survived the war and remained in France and went to Germany writing home on 27th,Feb 1919 as part of 76th Company RE BEF near Coln.He was transferred to the Reserves on 6th,May 1919 and was discharged on 5th,Feb 1923. Along the way he was awarded the Military Medal howver I have no idea when or for what he was awarded this medal............can anyone help or tell me how I might find out ?

Brian

The local newspaper in 1918 may have his picture and, if you are lucky, a description of how he won the Award. Check the Central Library Local Studies who should have fiche copies of the papers.

Brian

Brian

I was asking if you had it as it was on Ancestry and I wanted to make sure you'd got a copy, sorry but it won't add anything to what your looking for, your best option is local press.

Sam