Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Mildred on th Marne

susan kitchen

I recently came a cross the following book. Mildred on the Marne. by David Slattery-Christy. Story of 61 year old Mildred Aldrich and her experiences of the war. She retired to a small hill top house called La Creste in February 1914, with views across the Marne river and valley, little realising she would become enbroiled in the first major battle of the war. In spite of danger she stayed and helped British soldiers. Her home was for a few days behind German lines but the British pushed the Germans in to retreat and La Creste remained in British territory for the duration. Mildreds unpublished journals and voices of those serving in the BEF, along with historical military background, this book examines events from a unique perspective of a remarkable woman who lived through them. ISBN 9780752497686 £16.99 224 PAGES HARDBACK.

Sounds worth reading. Her books, 'A hilltop on the Marne', 'Told in a French Garden' and 'On the Edge of the War Zone' are very evocative and can be downloaded for free. She was also an interesting and cultured woman. Somewhere on this Forum there is a thread about her house being restored as a museum.

Cheers Martin B

Susan,

Her experiences were mentioned in either 1914 by Lyn MacDonald or Farewell Leicester Square by Kate Caffrey, or both, can't quite remember. Must be a very interesting read. I'll have a search on Abe for a copy.

Thanks

John

Jus

Susan,

Her experiences were mentioned in either 1914 by Lyn MacDonald or Farewell Leicester Square by Kate Caffrey, or both, can't quite remember. Must be a very interesting read. I'll have a search on Abe for a copy.

Thanks

John

Just realised i should have put it in the book section. Anyway if you have no luck with Abe, you could also try Play.com I've bought loads of books from them over the years.