Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Howard G H Farwell - Hampshire Regiment mystery?

WDPyke

From his medal card it seems Howard Farwell was a private in the Hampshire regiment who arrived in France on 5th August 1915. He was killed near Ypres on 9th August 1916 - and the CWGC gives his regiment as 2nd Hampshire. His local obituary says he enlisted in the Hampshire Regiment, started off for India, fell sick - left at Alexandria. Sent home, and transferred to a different battalion of the Hampshires. Went to Egypt, then Dardanelles, then Salonika, then France.

I can't make head nor tail of this. The battalions just don't fit. If he started in one of the India battalions, fair enough; but how could he have fitted in Egypt, Dardanelles and Salonika, and back to Western Front. And how can the CWGC state 2nd battalion when it was nowhere near Ypres in August 1916?

Any thoughts anyone? Was any Hampshire battalion in the Salient around that time?

Will

Will,

The 2nd Battalion were at POTIJZE during this period and suffered heavy casualties over the 8th and 9th August. [Edit: 1916 that is, to avoid confusion with his landing date]

Phil

I have the 1914-15 Star Rolls for most of the Gallipoli Hampshires and 13928 Private FARWELL Howard George Henry is shown as first landing there with 2 Hants on 5.8.1915.(my image 4882-WO3292727). That draft was one of several to Gallipoli to make up the losses from the unit's initial landing on 25 April forward.

There is obviously an error on the MIC.

Thanks both of you. I think I am getting there now: it is making much more sense!

Will