Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

German Reserve Infaterie Regiment 16, photograph album

stiletto_33853

Recently picked up.

Andy

post-1871-0-34505800-1397567041_thumb.jp

Andy, this is fantastic! My paternal grandfather also underwent his training with 5. Garde-Regt. z. F., however this would have been c. 1917. I do not know what unit he served with in the field, though; it's interesting to see that Hermes was sent to RIR16, and that Vierboom in #5 is wearing his Garde feldrock. Also one can be made out in #3.

Ken,

Glad that the pictures have been of use, these are vastly cropped to fit forum limits, if you need any full sized let me know.

Andy

post-1871-0-21425900-1397569184_thumb.jp

Yes,a lovely set of photographs! I am beginning to wonder, as I look at more and more of these, was it standing instructions or something similar that stipulated that one should grasp one's belt buckle when being photographed? Shades of AH and the guys in the SA in the 1930's - all or mostly WWI veterans, they often strike the same pose!

Trajan

I appreciate the offer. At some point I would like to put something together in respects to the 5. Garde-Regiment.

Now I will need to track down a copy of the RIR16 regimental history, which by the looks of it won't be easy.

Ken,

Glad that the pictures have been of use, these are vastly cropped to fit forum limits, if you need any full sized let me know.

Andy