Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Locating surviving family of Lieutenant in the Cameron Highlanders

Guest FrankW

Donald Morton Brown attached 1st Battalion Cameron Highlanders, died 17 October 1918. I have his original correspondence from duration of WW1 to my great-aunt. Are there any of his family similarly holding my great-aunts letters?

Hi there

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission records him as being a son of Mrs H Brown of 21 Merchiston Crescent in Edinburgh. He was born Philip Donald Morton Brown in 1897 in England, the son of Henry Brown and Gertrude Brown nee Steel. He had a older sister Janet (b.c.1891) and a younger brother Henry K (b.1902 in Edinburgh). His parents were married in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire in 1889 and his father was an officer of the inland revenue. Lieutenant Brown had only arrived in France on 9 August 1918 so only served for just over two months.

Lt Brown's mother died in 1947 in Edinburgh and at that time her son Henry Kenneth Brown was living at 85 Polwarth Gardens in Edinburgh. He married Edith Macdonald Gilmore Andrews in 1935 in Edinburgh and died in Oban in 1987. Perhaps they had children who might have or know where correspondence is?

It might be worth contacting forum member jimmyjames as he asked a question looking for more information on Lt Brown back in 2004 on the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders thread.

Hope this helps a bit

Patrick

BROWN. DONALD MORTON. 2nd Lieutenant. 30th. July 1915. Lieutenant 1st July 1917. Posted to the 7th Battalion BEF. 24th August 1916 WOUNDED. Attached 1st Battalion BEF 1918. Killed in action 17th October 1918. (He gets a mention Page 81 Supp No.6) I think this refers to the 79th News.

Aye Rob.