Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gay Byrne: My Father’s War is on RTÉ One at 9.30pm on Monday, April

Don

Just a reminder about this documentary which is on tonight Monday 14th

Regards

Gerry

Thanks for the reminder Gerry. I think this is the first WW1 programme RTE have shown so far this year?

Hopefully the first of many isadore

Thanks for the reminder Gerry.

Anne

Gay Byrne did mention it in his final Lyric FM broadcast a couple of Sundays ago. He seemed to be fine with many aspects of the recording of the broadcast material but then certain incidents cut him up a little, re Irish casualties on the Menin Gate and so forth (if I recall the broadcast correctly). It should be an interesting programme.

Gerry, I have just watched the recording of this and thought it was quite interesting. As mentioned in the previous post Gay Byrne did seem somewhat emotional at times - I was surprised to hear he was 80. I reckon there are not too many sons or daughters alive today able to recall such memories of their father when he came home from Great War.

Anne

Gerry, I have just watched the recording of this and thought it was quite interesting. As mentioned in the previous post Gay Byrne did seem somewhat emotional at times - I was surprised to hear he was 80. I reckon there are not too many sons or daughters alive today able to recall such memories of their father when he came home from Great War.

Anne

Anne stable door-horse-bolted !!

Hello Anne ,

I found it very interesting as well, and indeed it was emotional.

I will watch again over the weekend when the new arrival is asleep in his mosses basket.

Gerry

I'm no fan of the guy either - even in this programme he's comes across as a bit self-important, but it's well made. The cavalry reenactments are impressive.

About 20 minutes into the programme (just before the Hawthorn Crater footage) there's a piece of film showing men going "over the top". I was surprised to see a guy in the foreground obviously chewing gum! I know it existed then, but never seen it used "in action" before

Watch out during the firing range scene where you'll see a Lee Enfield No. 1 suddenly become a No. 4 and back again!

But I'm being picky.

Dave

I'll try to watch over the weekend then. Busy time with Easter Eggs and I'm to be a Godfather :thumbsup:

But 19 days left on the player anyway.

I thought the programme was excellent and will encourage even more people to look into their own family backgrounds. In fairness to Gay Byrne, he attended the official re-dedication of the Islandbridge Memorial Gardens in the 1980s at time in Ireland when very few public figures would have had the courage to do so.

Missed the program but available on RTE Player (not sure about the UK though) so might get a chance to watch over the weekend -

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10273502/

Is it worth watching though? I'm no fan of the presenter.

John

John, I am no fan of the presenter either but I reckon the programme was well made. Tried your link but couldn't view even though we are on the same island - just in different parts.

Anne

PS - congratulations on becoming a Godfather!

Pity about the Player not being available outside Republic. I might get time to give this a go tonight.

PS - congratulations on becoming a Godfather!

Thanks Anne. Will be my proudest achievement :thumbsup: