Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

George Henry Mann - Kings Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment)

SmithToton

When tidying out my Aunt's house I've found a rolled up certificate for her father which says " Private George Henry Mann 41130 The Kings Own ( Royal Lancaster Regiment ) Having previously served during the War Notts and Derby Regiment Served with honour and was disabled in the Great War. Honourably discharged on 30th May 1919" and signed by George R J - can anyone help me find his war records and what happened to him as I have no idea where to start. Thanks

He enlisted August 1917 and was discharged due to wounds in 1919 he MAY have a surviving pension record on Ancestry he has a Silver War Badge entry also on ancestry.

Ady

• 3 months later...

Following a recent death in my family a similar Certificate came to light. I posted a picture of it on the thread I started about my grandfather "83123 Sapper John Morris RE" in Soldiers.This was known as a King's Certificate. It was issued at some time after the Silver War Badge. There are two files at the National Archives (WO 32/11334 and WO 32/11335) that deal with these certificates. The first letter in 11334 is on Buckingham Palace notepaper dated 22/02/1916. It is from Lord Stamfordham to Lord Kitchener that the King had suggested that soldiers discharged from wounds or sickness (not misconduct) should receive a special form of certificate to assist them in civilian life. Lord K replied on 14/03/1916 that he would have specimens prepared for the King. In a letter dated 15/03/1916 Lord Stamfordham passed on the King's suggestion that Mr Partridge, the clever artist on the staff of Punch might be approached. He had designed the State Invitation Cards for the Coronation with which the King was pleased. Also in the file are instructions for Officers i.c. Records. They should keep a record of the issue of these Certificates and insert on each Certificate the name, rank, number and corps and the date of discharge. On the back of the Certificate in the top right hand corner the Officer had to record a serial number, date of issue and his own initials. Since the Certificate bore the King's signature no other signature was to be allowed. WO 32/11335 contains two specimen Certificates submitted for the King's approval. Both show the name 9409 Lance Corporal Edward Everist. 3rd Canadian Infantry Battalion. Date of Discharge 28/08/1916.

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547

When tidying out my Aunt's house I've found a rolled up certificate for her father which says " Private George Henry Mann 41130 The Kings Own ( Royal Lancaster Regiment ) Having previously served during the War Notts and Derby Regiment Served with honour and was disabled in the Great War. Honourably discharged on 30th May 1919" and signed by George R J - can anyone help me find his war records and what happened to him as I have no idea where to start. Thanks

I can tell you he was in the 8th Battalion if that's any help. I suspect that his service with the Notts & Derby was in the UK only as there's no other regiment mentioned in the Medal Roll and had he served overseas with anyone else there almost certainly would have been. I can't give you the exact date that his number was issued by the King's Own, but it was somewhere between late April to the end of May 1918.

• 9 years later...
On 13/04/2014 at 18:21, mmm45 said:

was discharged due to wounds in 1919 he MAY have a surviving pension record

WFA/Fold3 have some:

• a pension index card showing he was discharged 30.5.19 and awarded 22/- pw from 31.5.19 to 1.6.20 [the 80% degree of disability rate for a pension Class V soldier/Pte] - also shows an earlier number of 22190, but the unit is not identified
  • a pension ledger page which show born 1898, Single, GSW Rt Shoulder, 14 Marlborough Rd, Long Eaton

M