Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

notts & derby/ derbyshire capbadge

JASONRAMBO

hi everyone, can any body tell me if this Derbyshire cap badge is genuine. because I don't think they should have a slider- cheers

post-20048-0-70944100-1397342604_thumb.j

post-20048-0-83959900-1397342711_thumb.j

Sliders are fine on this badge. I have found two in the fields of the Somme and both were slidered. Lugged varieties exist and are usually earlier examples I.e Edwardian.

As for badge being original or a restrike or WW1 or later?????

Regards

TT

Sliders are fine on this badge. I have found two in the fields of the Somme and both were slidered. Lugged varieties exist and are usually earlier examples I.e Edwardian.

As for badge being original or a restrike or WW1 or later?????

Regards

TT

Sorry ignore all of above as I was talking about Notts and Derby examples. Just noticed yours is not one of them....doh!

TT

If this badge was a genuine issue then it is very scarce indeed, I've never seen one before but have heard of their existance. It should have a QVC but a small number were issued with KC as shown above and were in use for a very short period, the above badge can only date between 1901 and 1902 when the title changed to 'Notts and Derby'. The wear from pollishing is very odd with some detail from the crown gone completely while other more prominent areas of the badge are fairly untouched retaining lots of detail and for this reason IMHO I'd say it was a copy/restrike

Jon

ok thanks, most people have said it is a re-strike but iam not sure if it could be a rare badge ?????????????

That's an officer's badge though, I've also seen a bronze one on a cap.

A member on the British Badge Forum once bragged how he and a colleague took the Derbyshire scroll off Victorian badges and attached them to Edwardian Notts & Derby patterns to fool local Militaria Society members.

I have one on loops which for the period of wear ought to be correct but for all I know it could be one of his.

Jason, I am quite sure yours is a wrong'un as they say but there are quite a few variations, the guide is if the scroll is "Derbyshire" Queen or Kings crown then it should be fitted with lugs and not a slider. As mentioned above I also have "Notts & Derby" with lugs its a bit of a mine field without going into more detail but below are other variations including white metal and bronze issues. BRONNO.

post-30693-0-18985500-1397414845_thumb.j

post-30693-0-01378100-1397414868_thumb.j