Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Exonerated Officers List

SueRC

Please can anyone help with a couple of medal queries I have? I have been researching Lieutenant Edward Leathley Armitage. On his medal card it states that he is listed on 'Exonerated Officers List A'. Can anyone tell me what this means? I've also have another medal card for a Hugh Northcote who was an Army Chaplain. On his card it states 'V medal taken in charge' it seems it was later reissued, but I have no idea what this means. Any help would be very gratefully received.

An "exonerated" officer is one that was a prisoner of war and, on being released, was found not to have contributed to his capture. For most, I think this was a formality. Being exonerated was a condition of being entitled to his campaign medals, hence the entry on the card.

C

I've also have another medal card for a Hugh Northcote who was an Army Chaplain. On his card it states 'V medal taken in charge' it seems it was later reissued, but I have no idea what this means. Any help would be very gratefully received.

On the medal rolls the decoration was either presented, despatched by post, or taken into stock. Any time I have come across taken in charge I have thought it to mean the same as taken into stock. Why would it be taken in stock? My understanding is because it couldn't be delivered or presented for whatever reason, e.g. unknown current address, unknown address of NoK, etc. Could be wrong and as always open to correction.

John

An "exonerated" officer is one that was a prisoner of war and, on being released, was found not to have contributed to his capture. For most, I think this was a formality. Being exonerated was a condition of being entitled to his campaign medals, hence the entry on the card.

C

Been discussed before IIRC the officer was given a form to complete if he said on it something like "we were completely surrounded with rifles pointed at us" someone said "well that's all right then - exonerated" but if he wrote "I was a complete and utter coward and surrendered as soon as I saw a German" he'd probably be charged with gross stupidity! There doesn't seem to have been any cross checking and an officer's word as to what happened was taken without question. I haven't seen anyone reporting a case of an officer who wasn't exonerated.