Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MIC

Guest ERAK

Like many people I am new to Military Historyand If someonehas already asaked this I am sorry but I did browse the topics first.

I have down loaded my Grandad Medal card and find that I don't fully understand

He served in the Manchester regiment as a Private and the Machine Gun Corp as a Lance Corporal. Excuse the ignorance but is this still part of the Manchester or a separate Regiment?

The card states that first Theatre of war was 2, B. Would that be Gallipoli. He joined 22/08/15

All the medals appear to have MGC against the entries. Is this because heended in the MGC?

Hi Erak,

Welcome to the forum, as far as your question goes I think that he must have joined eithe Manchester Regiment and then transfered to the MGC and he did not qualify for any medals until he was in the MGC and as far as my understanding goes (I AM NOT AN EXPERT) what regiment you where with when you qualified for a medal is what appeared on the medal itself.

Regards

Steve Chilton

PS - as far as theatre of war is concerned I dont know althoug I know it is on this forum somehwere and I am sure that someone will tell you.

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Hi Erak,

Welcome to the forum, as far as your question goes I think that he must have joined eithe Manchester Regiment and then transfered to the MGC and he did not qualify for any medals until he was in the MGC and as far as my understanding goes (I AM NOT AN EXPERT) what regiment you where with when you qualified for a medal is what appeared on the medal itself.

Regards

Steve Chilton

PS - as far as theatre of war is concerned I dont know althoug I know it is on this forum somehwere and I am sure that someone will tell you.

Alas not.

His medals would have been inscribed with his Manchester Regt details - the MGC was only an embryonic unit at the back end of the Gallipoli campaign, although some MGC inscribed trios do exist but research has shown these to be for service on the Western Front. So the entry 2b, which is actually the Balkans, refers to when it was officially deemed he entered that theatre of war with the Manchesters.

Medal entitlement is always recorded on the roll/rolls of the last unit you served with up to and as the Armistice, regardless of whther you served with that unit overseas or not ie A soldier was in the Hampshires, was wounded and transferred to the Labour Corps but only fit for home service. His medal entitlement would be recorded on a Labour Corps roll/rolls.

Ian

Thanks Ian,

As I said I am no expert and one of the nice things about this forum is that you can learn so much.

Regards

Steve Chilton

Thanks for the replies to my questions. You have all been most helpful and one of the good things about a site like this is that people are genuinaly helpful to those of us who are not as well versed and as Steve says you can learn so much

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Thanks Ian,

As I said I am no expert and one of the nice things about this forum is that you can learn so much.

Regards

Steve Chilton

No problems :)

Ian