Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Diary of 598th Coy ASC.

ForeignGong

Hi All

Does any one know if the War Dairy for the 598th Coy ASC is available anywhere??? Hopefully on the net as I live in Aussie & it is a bit of a journey to Kew.

I am particularly interested in the time of the Great Fire, Aug 1917.

There were three ASC members awarded 1st Cl & 13 ASC awarded 2nd Cl, Greek Medals of the Order of King George I & I am led to believe they were all awarded for service during the fire.

These were not gazetted until Jan 1920, hence not 100% sure of my source.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Peter

Thanks very much Graeme

I was afraid of that.

Out of the 3 x 1st Cl & 13 2nd Cl, there are 10 men from 598th Coy.

1 is from the 52nd Coy & 5 Un known.

Can I assume that the 10 from 598th were members on the Fire Engines & the other 6 came in to help?

Young's Book states that

"18 August 1917 provided an interesting event when a fire broke out in Salonika which destroyed a square mile of the town. Two Fire engines from the Base MT Depot at Kalamaria and the docks provided assistance-one engine for 10 days, the other for seventeen. One driver remained at his post without sleep for almost sixty hours. Innumerable ASC lorries and vans transported refugees out of danger. The fire may have been unimportant from the campaign point of view, but achieved wonders for the reputation of the British Army."

This is the total mention of the fire in his marvellous book.

His book states that 52nd Coy were based at Catterick, Southport as Discharge Depot ASC, so no good looking for a War Diary.

I am trying to establish if the awards were in connection to the fire or for something different or a combination of both.

Once again thanks for the info you supplied.

Peter