Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

help please on writing

douglynn

please guys i can read his number and served 7 years,,,,,,,,,,,can any one make out the last bit looks like res? time thanks for lookingpost-108857-0-11077200-1397232661_thumb.post-108857-0-11077200-1397232661_thumb.

Not very clear but looks like 7 yrs 5 (months? perhaps) or maybe 7 yrs 5 part time.

Anne

PS (I copied it, saved it and blew it up)

Served with the army for a period of 7 years full time service with the colours, to be followed by another 5 in the Army Reserve.

See the long long trail here

regards Ray

this is the medal roll for the south africa 1901 1902 medal and clasp. would he have got this as a reserve

i allso have him joining up in 1914 his age was 36 and another cant quite make out he was from durham and what looks like ashford i can make out the ash--r- thats all would he have joined up there seems quite far

Douglynn

The copies that you have posted look like his attestation form,

Can you post the link on Ancestry?

The first post, showing two images, are part of the attestation form used when he re-enlisted. The entry suggests he had served a standard term of regular army service with the Border Regiment: seven years full time and then five on reserve. On completin he became what was known as "Time expired": I guess that is what the "Time x" means.

Ashton-under-Lyne was the location of the depot of the Manchester Regiment.

i tried to work out his age on joining border rgt he was 36 when he enlisted on 1914 and he got 1901 1902 south africa medal so would he be 14/15 years old when in the border rgt?thanks for looking

i tried to work out his age on joining border rgt he was 36 when he enlisted on 1914 and he got 1901 1902 south africa medal so would he be 14/15 years old when in the border rgt?thanks for looking

post-108857-0-88709900-1397238746_thumb.

so his profession soldier thanks for looking and your answers chris