Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Leeds Absent Voters

channelhopper

I am trying to research 248 Pte Fred Wells of the West Yorkshire Regiment.

I have attempted to search and download the Leeds Absent Voters listing but I am being asked for a username and password.

Does anyone have the list please and could they do a check for me.

Many Thanks

Channelhopper

Where are you looking?

Keith

Free search here: http://www.leeds.gov.uk/leisure/Pages/Absent-war-voters.aspx

But you might need to try variants such as frederick, F Freddie etc

keith

EDIT Apparently there is a technical problem with the site at present judging by the text on the page.

Hi Keith

Thank you for responding. That is the site I tried but if do a search it say there are technical problems but you can download the complete list. I have tried to do this but it asks for a username and password

Peter

Hi

I ahve just downloaded it without needing a password, as an excel spreadsheet. I'll check for your name and edit this.

Keith

here are all the Wells listed:

6138C WELLS ALBERT 70570 PTE D L I Item Lists/WarVoters 1938LW WRIGHT HARRY 35198 PTE 7TH BATT E YORKS Item Lists/WarVoters 2959C WELLS ALFRED H 125857 A S C Item Lists/WarVoters 163C WELLS ARTHUR 103166 2ND AM R A F Item Lists/WarVoters 9203C WELLS CHARLES E 47982 PTE 22ND N F Item Lists/WarVoters 9204C WELLS CLIFFORD 40014 1ST AM R A F Item Lists/WarVoters 2683C WELLS DUNCAN S LT 3RD WEST YORKS Item Lists/WarVoters 9205C WELLS ERNEST 775433 5TH (RES) R F A (T) Item Lists/WarVoters 9602C WELLS FRANK T2/12126 R N Item Lists/WarVoters 7053C WELLS FRANK Item Lists/WarVoters 5211C WELLS FREDERICK C 306397 RFLM WEST YORKS Item Lists/WarVoters 7253C WELLS GEORGE 355561 PTE 488TH EMP CO Item Lists/WarVoters

Ouch - they were in a nice excel table until I clicked paste. Still you should eb able to see, only one Frederick

Keith

Thank you much appreciated but no sign of him 1!

Peter

• 6 years later...

A search on a Sid Franklin revealed the following:

Name: SID, FRANKLIN
Number: J/1246
Unit: ROYAL FUS
Reference: 5695C

The reference, as explained by the PDFs is that C is for Leeds Central. That sheet reveals:
METZ PLACE 5693/5696

If you wish to obtain details of the address for a specific entry, contact the Local and Family History Library, Central Library, Calverley Street, Leeds, LS1 3AB who can check the original Electoral Roll for you. Please note that some men are mentioned twice in the index at different addresses.
https://www.leeds.gov.uk/leisure/libraries/local-and-family-history-services