Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th (S.) Battalion, Northamptonshire Regiment, 1914-1919 Author: H B K

Andrewboyles

Hello,

I'm trying to get hold of the book 7th (s) Battalion Northamptonshire regiment 1914-1919 written by H B King. If anyone knows where this is available or where I can obtain a copy it would be hugely appreciated. It has a reference to my great grandfather Private William Boyles - and would like a copy to show to my grandfather and future generations.

Hope someone out there can help.

Andrew

Hi Andrew

Not quite the same but as holding the book, but it is online

http://lib.militaryarchive.co.uk/library/infantry-histories/7th-S-Battn-Northamptonshire-Regiment-1914-1919.asp

In fact the page you want is here (takes a while to load) half way down page 34

http://lib.militaryarchive.co.uk/library/infantry-histories/library/7th-S-Battalion-Northamptonshire-Regiment-1914-1919/HTML/index.asp#/46/

Regards,

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

Thanks for this I will have a read through and see if I can get hold of the book at a later date.

Regards,

Andrew

Hi Andrew.

I have just read the diary which you may have also.

It only stated that there were 7 wounded on March 9th.

I suppose you also know that in The Mobbs Own: The Northampton Regiment

it notes Pte. Boyles, W.G. Died of wounds 10/3/16. Farthinghoe Northants.

May be of help.

Sandy

• 6 months later...

Old Owl,

If there are any photos or reference to 2Lt CF Saunders then I'd be grateful of a loan or purchase from you.

Graeme,

I'll give it a try; many thanks.

Max

There is a photograph of the officers of the battalion in Paget's book, but it dates from either late 1914 or early 1915 and doesn't include Second Lieutenant Saunders.

The photograph is not dated, but judging by the officers who are or aren't on it, it was taken between 16th and 24th November 1914 (and Charles Saunders joined in December.... :( ).

Steve.

Thanks Steve,

We visited Worcester College, Oxford last weekend where he is on the role; Lt George and the 'Trinity Tiddlers' sprang to mind, followed by our trip to Guillemont where I was able to pretty much trace the footsteps of his last day on the 18 Aug 16 which was quite eerie. The bizarre thing was that I then discovered that my wife's great grandfather was Lt Col George MacLean Buckley, who a couple of weeks later, commanding the 7th Leinsters, took the assault in and captured Guillemont thereby earning himself a DSO.

We found out since that Charles was the only officer of C Coy, 7th Northants to get onto the quarry at Guillemont and having been hit twice, went back to the dressing station for treatment, and then whilst returning to the quarry, collapsed and died. I've been invited to Worcester College for the Remembrance Service next Sunday; irrespective of all my years service, this'll probably be the most poignant.

Max

Old Owl,

If there are any photos or reference to 2Lt CF Saunders then I'd be grateful of a loan or purchase from you.

Max

Hi Max,

Unfortunately there is no photo of Saunders, ie. he is not included in the named group photo. He receives a mention in the nominal roll of officers, but this just has the following:

"2nd-Lieut C.F.Saunders, 2nd-Lieut, 22nd Dec.,1914."

The book was published in August,1915, and contains the same group photo of officers as that in 'Northampton in the Great War', which I assume you will have seen. Studying the photos there is one officer who has no name attached, this being the officer 4th from the left, as you look at the photo, on the 2nd row--between Houghton and King. This could well be Saunders?

If you need copies of the photos, PM me an email address and I will send them over.

Robert