Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Looking for MM Christopher Thomas Honey 51st Siege Battery RGA

NSRG

Hi! On the very helpful Roll of Honour website transcribing war memorials, Gunner Christopher Thomas Honey of 51st Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery (service number 68818) is described as "MM" - having the Military Medal.

He joined up in November 1915 and died of wounds at Base Hospital at Boulogne on 12th June 1917 aged 32. He is buried at Boulogne Eastern Cemetery F. 102. Despite the MM listing on the memorial, I can't find any record of this medal - his medal card at National Archives only has campaign medals (I think this is standard practice); I've searched in the Gazette, but nothing there and the certificate from the CWGC (info based on what is inscribed on his gravestone) also doesn't mention him as "MM". I know lots of FWW records were destroyed, but wonder if anyone has any suggestions for where else to look for MM records for that regiment or if anyone else has come across this sort of puzzle before?

Many thanks for any advice!

It would appear that 'Roll of Honour' website is in error. I do not have him in my database of Royal Artillery MM recipients and I cannot find him in the "Royal Artillery Military Medal Awards" on Find My Past.

Hi M-G!

Many thanks for looking into this and for confirming the situation. Must be an error or a misunderstanding at some point.

RIP Gunner Honey - like many others, you may've deserved a medal, but not actually been awarded one. Your service and sacrifice no less appreciated, all the same.

• 2 years later...
Guest SUSANSOFUTORUNU

I was wondering as to how you are connected to this person . Christopher Thomas honey was my great uncle . His sister Maria Honey was my grandmother . Her son of which is my father was named after her brother . Do you have any more info to share including photos. I have some you may be interested in .