Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte John Turner

Rob Bulloch

I am searching for some details on a PTE JOHN TURNER. of the Queens own Cameron Highlanders S/11916 he was in either the 1st Battalion or the 6th Battalion I have him as KIA F & F 29th January 1916 could a member of the forum who has the SDGW CD Rom please check this soldier for me, thanks in advance. Rob. Bulloch.

Rob.

You probably know this but CWGC lists him as 6th Battalion with a date of death of 28th Jan 1916.

Cheers.

John.

Rob,

SDGW lists him as 1st Bn K.I.A 29/1/1916 additional info: Born in Govan Glasgow, residence Glasgow enlisted, Glasgow.

regards

Lesley

Looks like a trip to Kew is needed!

Thanks for the information John and Lesley would there be any mention of geographical area or simply F & F Regards and thanks again Rob.B.

He is commemorated on the Loos memorial. This memorial (to quote CWGC) commemorates officers and men who fell between the river Lys and the old south boundary of the First army, east and west of Grenay.

Cheers

Also thanks to Raster you posted just a few mins in front me, and thanks to all for your input Best Regards Rob. Bulloch.

All his details are here.

CWGC

Raster I did look him up on CWGC but I had other information and they both where different, the CWGC gives his details as 6th Batt 28th Jan 1916 SDGW gives him as 1st Batt 29th Jan 1916 which one is more likely to be correct. Regards Rob. B.

Could be either Rob.I have heard of errors in both. I think the only way to confirm the details would be a trip to Kew for a look at service records and battalion diaries. The diaries will at least tell you where they were fighting on the date of death, this may give you confirmation of his battalion given his commemoration at Loos.

Good Luck

Hi Rob

I do like these puzzles, as I was reading the replies to your post, I had a bit of a brain wave, which does not happen very often. I looked up the Cameron Highlanders on SDGW, by 1st and then 6th battalions, I sorted each by date. I did this for two reasons, one to see if any other men died on 29th or 28th Jan. 1916, and two, by looking at where the first 4 or 5 men leading up to this date are buried would help pin down where both battalions were.

Only one man from the 1st Batt. is recorded for 29/1/16, and that is your man Turner, and there are none for the 28th. There are 4 men from the 6th Batt. recorded for the 29/1/16, C.W.G.C. records that all four are on the Loos Memorial, SDGW also records 5 men of the 6th Batt. killed on the 28th (I did not look to see where these lads were buried etc.).

Looking at the burial places of men either side of the 28th & 29th for 1st Batt., two men killed on 13/1/16 are buried in Dud Corner Cem., Loos, and two killed on 24/2/16 are buried in Maroc British cem.,

So both battalions were in the area covered by Loos Memorial.

Looking at this info. I would say your man was in the 6th Batt., but like others have said, a look at each battalions diary may be of help.

Hope this is of help.

Annette

Annette!!!

What can I say!! "BRILLIANT" Thanks for the brain wave. and thanks to all the forum for there help. Best regards Rob. B.