Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Queen's Own Royal West Kent - 11th Battalion

sinuk

I'm trying to trace Johnson, Charles. The reg No. looks like G/9852.
The number has G.S.W.K written above it (any ideas what that means?)

I can only find a few pages of the short service record, and the details look kind of right, but looking for anything more that might provide more compounding evidence as to if this is the right person. Things are so difficult with such common names

The December 10th 1915 edition of "The Catford Journal" lists a C Johnson of 140 Courthill Road among the 11th Battalion ranks that day together with a C Johnson of 33 Lewisham Road - which is the address shown on your man's Short Service Record - I believe the first C Johnson (Private G/8022) of Courthill Road was killed-in-action on the 15th September 1916 - so the Catford Journal entry shows you have the right man.

There is also a C.Johnson listed in the history of the battalion by Captain R.O.Russell M.C. as being one of the Other Ranks that served with the 11th Battalion.

Thanks, he died in 1975 when I was born so definitely not KIA... Any ideas where I might find more information on him? Are there any photos of the 11th btln that I might scour?

The Queen's Own Royal West Kent Regimental Museum at St Faith's Street in Maidstone, Kent has a photo archive - if you have a period likeness to compare then you could try there - You could always try the local papers for the period around his enlistment as occasionally photographs of those who served were submitted by their families and sometimes published.

G.S.W.K. = General Service West Kent

Copies of The Catford Journal are held on microfilm at the Lewisham Library Local Archives section where they may be viewed and photocopies purchased - if you send your email in a personal message to me I will send you an image but the quality will reflect a scan of a photocopy!

Charles Johnson G/9852 absconded and was struck off the battalion roll. That's why the details are so sparse.

Stuart

Hi Stuart

Thanks for the extra information.