Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

william brackenbury

stephen ward

my ancestor william brackenbury was born in england,but in 1914 possibly with his brother george went to canada.he joined the 78th manitoba regiment.he lived in souris.when did the 78th bn go to france ?..i would also like to see when he joined up and any papers that he would have filled in .he was killed on the 2nd september 1918..his number is 2129665. finally where were the 78th btween 1915-1918 ?. many thanks steve from england

Steve

i would also like to see when he joined up and any papers that he would have filled in

You can search for that info here:

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/first-world-war-1914-1918-cef/Pages/canadian-expeditionary-force.aspx

where were the 78th btween 1915-1918 ?.

and get the answer to this question by reading the Battalion's War Diary here;

http://www.canadiangreatwarproject.com/warDiaryLac/wdLacP08.asp

Dave

78 Battalion was at Bramshott Hampshire on 12 Aug 1916 and moved to Southampton on that day for embarkation on three ships ("The Lydia" "City of Dunkirk" and "Transport 886") for destination Le Havre,France. Arrived there 13 Aug,and entrained on 15 Aug,destination Poperinghe,Belgium.

There is a War Diary on Collectionscanada,as will be his attestation papers.

From Dave's first link you will find the front page of his Attestation papers, Circumstances of Death and War Grave Registration

Phil

A 17 year old Wm Brackenbury , farm labourer , sailed 3rd class on the Allan line ship "Alsatian" on 14 March 1914 from Liverpool to Halifax , Canada.

Brother George , 28 year old farmer and wife (?) Elsie (?) 20 year old domestic travelled on the same ship but 2nd class.