Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Anyone know anything about my grandads unit

AshtonPete

This all I have to go on, one pic, I know Nothing about him only he was a prisoner of war in Belgium. and that's all my grandma told me, for all I know she may have been got muddled up. He survived the war only to killed down the pit at Lea Green Colliery in 1950 One year before I was born... Any help appreciated.... Thanks in advance.

He came from St Helens, Lancashire.

GrandfatherLeyland2_zps09866d2d.jpg

Again on right of pic

GrandfatherLeyland_zpsd032a88b.jpg

It looks as if it may be The Prince Of Wales`s Volunteers South Lancashire Regiment.

What is his name ?

Gary

It may be 20881 Wm Leyland he was a Sergeant and a POW he has pension records on Ancestry.( and he was a miner )

Wife-Elizabeth Ann.

Gary

an excellent first photo - it looks like he has a wound stripe on his lower left arm -- his records may provide some information on this. There are some members - with the skills - who might offer to 'clean up' and 'improve' the photos .. the first is quite a fine portrait

Someone did this for me today on ROOTSCHAT.COM

They have a FREE clean up service

GrandfatherLeyland2_zps09866d2d1_zps09c4

AshtonPete

11 South Lancs were Pioneers to 30 Division. The Battalion first landed in France in Nov 1915 and your Grandad was there at the start. If you want to read the day-by-day activity there is a War Diary which can be downloaded from the National Archives,you will get the story from first landing to his capture on 24 March 1918, after being gassed at St Quentin on 21 March,all for £3.30,here:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C7353620

His pension Record shows that he enlisted on 7 Sep 1914 and was discharged on 14 Mar 1919. He served his POW time at Cassel in Germany.

Nice clean up pic,I don't see a wound stripe though.

Thanks so much for that... I couldn't see a stripe too, but I didn't like saying. Then again I wouldn't know what I am suppose to be looking for.

Thanks so much for that... I couldn't see a stripe too, but I didn't like saying. Then again I wouldn't know what I am suppose to be looking for.

Looking again I have to say that the three man photo has a hint of something on his left sleeve,but it just may be the wear in the photo. The pics were seemingly taken at different times,judging by the rake of his cap. The papers also mention that he was gassed on two other occasions prior to Mar 1918. It just may be that the photos were taken before these incidents,and likely in France because he achieved his rank there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Wm Leyland is in our database for the St. Helens Pals project. A book on the Pals' story will be published later this year. If you PM me your email address I'll send you what we have on him. I'd like to use your photos if that's ok with you.

Dave