Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Btn Royal Sussex Regiment in India

Laird of Camster

Ladies/Gents,

Does anyone have an interest in the 1st Btn Royal Sussex Regiment. I believe this battalion was stationed in India during the Great War (my understanding is that they started and spent the entire war therein). I`ve come across a couple of examples of medal groups which I think our interesting. The first example is a sole entitlement of a BWM. My understanding was that only troops posted to India during the war qualified those already there didn`t, which suggests to me that this example is for a replacement soldier? The second example is a trio (BWM, IGS NWF19119 & WW2 Defence Medal), again this suggests that this soldier was a replacement, yet he deployed with the btn to the NWF in 1919, yet the other didn`t? Has anyone got any thoughts?

Gordon.

A Great War India, Third Afghanistan War and Second World War Home Front group to Private A. Baker, Royal Sussex Regiment.

Group of 3: British War Medal 1914-1919; (G-11462 PTE. A. BAKER. R.SUSS.R.); India General Service Medal 1908-35, 1 Clasp: Afghanistan N.W.F. 1919; (G-11462 PTE. A. BAKER. R.SUSS.R.); Defence Medal 1939-45. Mounted loose style as worn.

Condition: Good Very Fine.

Alfred Baker served as a Private (No.G-11462) with the Royal Sussex Regiment in India during the Great War, and was then present during the Third Afghanistan War on the Northwest Frontier during 1919. He probably saw service with the Civil Defence or Home Guard during the Second World War.

post-93093-0-25868800-1396866246_thumb.p

• spof changed the title to 1st Btn Royal Sussex Regiment in India