Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Congleton War Memorial Project WW1

Cheshire_Memorials

Have you looked at the information from CWGC? If you search for Congleton in the cemetery field, it suggests a total of 3 cemeteries on Congleton, in which casualties are buried, totaling 21 people. If you search for Congleton in Other information, it returns 289 casualties, who have some documented (by CWGC) connection to Congleton. This would not be a complete list, as many records include no information in the Other info field, but would be another good source of documented Congleton casualties. If you need assistance let me know, and i can help you extract the info from the CWGC website.

Antony

Thank you for that Antony, i have got most of the casualties off the CWGC website though i have found some on Ancestry which i have not yet found on the CWGC. I will try the Other Information and see what it comes up with. It has been said that Congleton is unique in the fact that the town council limited the amount of names that were to be put on the plaques, it was a case of put forward the names you want added and it would be first come first served. Not even all those buried in the churchyards and cemeteries that were from Congleton were on the memorial. The memorial also includes all the little villages that surround the town even though they had their own memorials, mainly in the village churchyards. There are even a couple whose only connection with Congleton is that they had a relative living in the town, perhaps they even sneezed as they went through Congleton at some point.

Mike

16th Battalion Lancs Fusiliers On the night of the 31st March/1st April three parties of the 16th Battalion entered Ayette from the south, but were held up by machine gun fire and a barricade and forced to withdraw. At 9.00 am on the 3rd April D Company resumed the attacks and captured two posts. Casualties were heavy in these operations 2 officers and 8 men killed 5 officers and 55 other ranks wounded and 17 men missing. 2nd L/t Vasey awarded the MC for his work.

Thank you for that Ralph, I'll add that to what i have on the casualties notes which at this point is very little.

Regards

Mike

Mike,

Nothing new there, in my home town there are names of people on the memorial that never stepped foot in the town but they had relatives living here. There is even a VC, however his parents moved to the town in the war, the soldier himself never came to the town. That is after all what a memorial is for, to enable their relatives to sit in the gardens and remember their kin.

Anyway, drop me a pm with your e-mail address and I will e-mail the 1st and 13th Rifle Brigade diaries off to you as the 1/7/16 with the 1st RB there is a lot there also with the 13th RB in November 1916.

Andy

Andy,

I think its unique that the town council kept the numbers put onto the memorial so low, more than half of the WW1 casualties were not listed on the plaques. As i said they purposely said that only so many would be put on the plaques and it would be a first come first served basis from relatives. Penny pinching even back then.

Mike

Mike,

On one of my local memorials they took a vote on whether to have just the mans name, name and rank, or name and regiment.

No prizes which one came out on top, penny pinching as you say.

I have taken a passing interest in at at least 5 Highland memorials and they all list rank and/or regiment. It makes life a bit easier for researchers 100 years on!

BillyH.

You may be interested in the following from the PCC minutes at Cranbourne, Berkshire:

5th May 1920

The following resolution was carried that this meeting of the P C Council venture to suggest to the “War Memorial” committee that in view of the feeling of the parish, and generally in the country, the names of the inscribed on the “War Memorial” should not be in order of rank.

Andrewr

Andrewr That is very interesting and from memory the Congleton Memorial is done in alphabetical order which is how most i have seen are done. Its also been done with rank/name but no other information which does make it a little more difficult to research as you have to make sure you find the correct man in the correct Regt/Btn.

BillyH That is a weird way of choosing who and does not get onto the town memorial but i guess unless a person is a real nasty piece of work he would of been voted onto it. My guess is that only one or two would of been missed off. On the Congleton Memorial 236 names are listed where there are something like 258 names that were not included, including the the 5th Baron of Congleton and his younger brother. In fact a lot of the big hitters in the town were not included.

Mike

Mike,

I have no objection whatsoever if you want to use the material shown regarding Orchards or the photographs, his trio and plaque I am still the guardian of. Concerning his participation in the trench raid I cannot advise you on as most casualties were caused by the German retaliatory bombardment, unless you know the Company he was in then we can pin it down a little more.

Please find attached the 2nd Rifle Brigades war diary for 27/9/15, a quiet day although on the 25/9/15 they were involved in one of these nasty subsidiary attacks for Loo's at Bois Grenier, so did your man die of wounds or killed in action????

Andy

Although reading Andrew Buxtons account you could read into it that Orchards was lost in the raid with the mention of Latter and two others, having said that the research I conducted led me to believe that he was in a covering party for the return of the raid.

Hi Andy,

After checking through my records for the 2nd Rifle Brigade i think he may have died of wounds as he is buried at Bailleul Communal Cemetery Extn which i believe was used for a few hospital Clearing Stations.

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike,

In that case I will send the diary for the whole of September 1915 to you, do you have a name for this chap. W.G Martin by any chance??

Andy

Mike

I have scanned excerpts from Lieutenant Meakin's "History of 5th North Staffords" (1920) covering the attack on the Hohenzollern Redoubt (13 October 1915) and at Gommecourt (1 July 1916) plus some background information about what they were doing around Hill 60 on 25 July 1915 when John Doorbar was killed but they are all too large to post here. Can you send me a PM with your email address please and I'll send them over to you?

(And happy to send them to anyone else who may be interested).

Regards

C

Hi C,

Huge thanks for the extras on the 8th North Staffs, everything helps to put the story together. Will Pm you straight away with email address.

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike,

Just getting everything sorted to send to you (quite a bit there) could you tell me who the 2nd RB man was that died and is buried at Bailleul Communal Cemetery Extension??

Andy

Hi Andy,

Sorry for the lack of response over the last few days but my wife had a baby so i have been tied up with hospital and nappies.

The name of the 2nd RB guy is Rifleman 2538 William George Martin who died on 27/9/1915 but i think he died of wounds and was at the No2 Casualty Clearing Station.

Regards

Mike