Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

What's it worth?

squirrel

I bought a first edition of The Man I Knew by The Countess Haig. It is an ex Imperial War Museum Library copy with the usual "withdrawn" stamps - no dates - and is in reasonably good condition. It is also signed, the signature matches the facsimile signature at the end of the foreword. Have I managed to obtain a bargain at around £15 including the postage?

Almost certainly, but I'll move it to "Chit-Chat" as it isn't really a review

Keith

There's a signed copy on ABE at £250 but that's in it's jacket which yours may not be, so I would think £80-120, although Mrs. H wasn't averse to signing the odd copy.

Alan which is rarer, the signed or unsigned one?

My book is not in a dust jacket - still, I seem to have done well..

Alan which is rarer, the signed or unsigned one?

The signed ones are still by far the scarcer. I don't think she was in Edward Heath's class where it was always said that unsigned copies of his books were almost impossible to find.

Squirrel - definitely a good buy.

Nice buy Squirrel.

Thanks everyone -your comments are much appreciated. I had no idea of the value of the book as I just wanted a copy to throw some light on character of FM Haig and the read was much as I had expected. I was quite surprised, when the book arrived, to find the IWM Library label and stamps and then to find the signature for the price I paid.

It's a nice surprise. I once had the same thing happen with a set of Wellingtons Dispatches (the right edition and original binding), it arrived and was surprisingly signed. I immediately contacted the book dealer and said he had sent the wrong set and why, he laughed and said no he hadn't released and I had paid a good price so keep them, but these are slightly more sought after than Mrs Haig, especially signed by the great man, though he was some what like Heath :thumbsup:

So, who was this guy that Lady Haig knew? I think we should be told. :blink:

Possibly Edward VII - Lady H was a lady-in-waiting to Queen Alexandra before she married!

It is quite possible to pick up books on eBay (other sites are available) or elsewhere which have unexpected little extras - according tho the bookplates at the front, one of mine came from the personal library of E A James (British Regiments etc) and another from a former Garter King of Arms.

Ron