Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

MC Citation needed - CSM William Halliwell - 1st Rifle Brigade

JOSTURM

Grateful if anyone can advise his citation ?

Josturm.

I hope someone can find you the citation. I found confirmation of the award in the Edinburgh Gazette but it gives no details. I also stumbled across this biography - and see that whoever wrote it also struggled to find a citation...

I cannot find a citation on the London Gazette either. The publication "The History of the Rifle Brigade in the War of 1914-1918, Appendix: The Great War, Honours & Awards" just lists him without a citation. He was also mentioned in despatches.

Sepoy

Enormously useful, thanks to all

Josturm.

Peter,

Away from home right now (back on Sunday), however I believe Halliwell's medals were part of Michael Haines collection which he used for one of the booklets for the Orders and Medals Reseach Society convention. Will check for you on my return home.

Andy

Peter,

Just looking through some of Michaels publications for you presently, however in volume 1 off "The Rifle Brigade 1914 - 1918" on page 50 it says the following:-

"Meanwhile the First Battalion worked away at German House, and continued to improve the breastworks in the wood, spending alternately three days in the line and three days in billets at Ploegsteert or Armentieres (where baths were available). C.S.M. W. Halliwell won the Military Cross and Sergeant B. Daldry the D.C.M. for consistent good work".

The 1914 War record of the 1st states;- "On 18th February C.S.M. Halliwell was awarded the M.C., and Sergeant Daldry the D.C.M. The former did very good work throughout, especially on the 19th December."

The 19th December the 1st RB attacked German posts around the German House area.

Andy