Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somme mine craters.

cooky

Morning all,

Was wondering how many mine craters are still in existance,how many have been filled in over time and why are the High Wood craters full of water ?

Cooky.

Any hole in the ground will fill up with water if there is no effective drainage if only because of rain fall. If the bottom of the crater is clay soil it will tend to hold water - if chalk it will quite probably drain.

Lochnagar is one of the bigger left. There was a bigger one near by buy in the 1970's with falling off war "tourisim" the farmer decided the British did't care anymore. He obtained the cash and filled it in, there are now houses built ontop of this crater and starting to shift. I wonder why!

Clay soil will hold water tight, sandy soil will drain. It also depends where the water table is at. If the hole has pentrated the water table the hole will fill at that level. Above the water table and may fill in the local instance if the water can not escape.

Y Sap crater at Ovillers-La Boiselle was filled in in the 70s, and Lochnagar survives. You might look at the La Boiselle Project on line, an ongoing 'expedition' in the Glory Hole area of mine craters that pre-date the 1916 Somme Offensive

Sorry If this is a dumb question,but if the hole has penetrated into the water table why doesnt the crater overflow or is that the actual water tables level ?

Cooky

Sorry If this is a dumb question,but if the hole has penetrated into the water table why doesnt the crater overflow

This could only happen if water flowed uphill

Sorry If this is a dumb question,but if the hole has penetrated into the water table why doesnt the crater overflow or is that the actual water tables level ?

Cooky

The water tabel is the highest level sub-surface water will reach in normal conditions for the area. As we've seen in the UK recently, when ground is saturated by unusually high levels of rainfall, the water table itself becomes saturated, and will in effect overflow/rise so it might be possible for a mine or shell crater to fill with water and overflow, but not in isolation: the surrounding landscape would itself flood

Cooky

There is some discussion of the craters on the Somme here; ignore my slightly obsessive speculations and read post 28 by Peter Doyle. As to your original question about how many mines there were I had a search and the number 17 seems to be favourite. I've also seen 10 as the number of mines exploded on 1st July 1916. I know there has been some discussion of mines being filled in and some in the French sector here. The ones I know that are still there are Lochnagar, Hawthorn Ridge (which was actually blown twice), The Triple Tambour at Fricourt, the Glory Hole craters at La Boisselle and the Bois Francais area near Mametz.. Of the ones that have now been filled in the Y Sap crater on the other side of La Boisselle from Lochnagar used to be visible as a chalk mark but has now been built on.

Pete.

post-101238-0-13005200-1396541394_thumb.

The water tabel is the highest level sub-surface water will reach in normal conditions for the area. As we've seen in the UK recently, when ground is saturated by unusually high levels of rainfall, the water table itself becomes saturated, and will in effect overflow/rise so it might be possible for a mine or shell crater to fill with water and overflow, but not in isolation: the surrounding landscape would itself flood

Not quite under all conditions it is the upper level of an underground surface in which the soil or rocks are permanently saturated with water. This will rise and fall due to things such as rain fall, water extraction/drainage but in a particular area it will be generally uniform. When things are very wet it will some times be higher than the lower levels of solid surface (ie the ground is flooded) in very long arid arid conditions it may fall considerably. If you create a large hole that is deeper than the water table that hole can only flood with water from the aquifer below the water table until if is filled up to the level of the water table (otherwise water is running up hill!. The hole would overflow if there was an additional source of water going into it (say rainfall)

Lochnagar is one of the bigger left. There was a bigger one near by buy in the 1970's with falling off war "tourisim" the farmer decided the British did't care anymore. He obtained the cash and filled it in, there are now houses built ontop of this crater and starting to shift. I wonder why!

Muhahahaha .... laughter in a very dark tone...

kidding...

Don't forget all the craters left from Messines... That's the Caterpillar, Hill 60, Hooge, St Eloi, Spanbroekmolen, Pool of Peace, Ontario Farm and the Kruisstraat craters, to name a few...

MM.

And this is where little Marilyne notices that the topic title says "soMMe craters, and not some and that she's about to make a fool of herself... :whistle:

About time the studies stop ...

sorry ....

M.

Hi,

On this aerial from La Boisselle in 1947 the two craters Y sap & Lochnagar are still clearly visible. Y Sap doesn't seem bigger than the Lochnagar ?

Sly

post-20268-0-09147500-1396588509_thumb.j

Great photo Sly , where is it from and are there others for the Somme?

Tony

Yes,

there are plenty of them, it's from the IGN website: I warn you, you're going to spend hours there !

Here: http://www.geoportail.gouv.fr/actualite/181/telechargez-les-cartes-et-photographies-aeriennes-historiques

Click on "deplier la carte", then enter the location. "Remonter le temps" (top right), choose "les prises de vue aériennes" then the time wanted from 1919, 1939, 1947, etc...

Enjoy !

Sly

Just returned from battlefields tour of the Somme, recent picture of Lochnagar. Some crater.

Mike

post-99960-0-74975500-1396880391_thumb.j

• 3 months later...
Guest Bonzer Brad

Hi,

I'm new to all of this, having joined only yesterday, so please bear with me. I'm not sure whether or not this needs to be a new thread. But anyway, this is my query. In 1979 I visited the Somme with the school. I recall visiting a huge crater and being able to run all the way down and up the other side. The crater looked like Lochnager but with a collection of trees in it. I revisited Lochnager last year for the first time and asked someone about the trees to be told that there have never been any in the bottom! Now I could be confusing this with Hawthorn though images of that show it to be completely over run with trees. Any ideas? It was a particularly large and important crater, so realistically could only have been one of these two. I wouldn't have thought that the Hawthorn would have been so overrun with trees over the past 35 years. Could be wrong though. I think Y Sap would have been filled in by then.

There are hundreds of mine craters still in existence; not just the few that are in the British sector.

Around the St Mihiel salient and the Argonne I could take you to at least 20 that you have never heard of. Come to think of it, many more than 20; Les Eparges has about 10 all by itself. Then there's Vauquois with heaven knows how many - ignore the six it says on the noticeboard, that's just the big ones.

Guest Bonzer Brad

Thanks Healdav. I'm referring just to the Somme. The crater I visited would have been pretty well known to have been on the school itinerary, hence the reason why I'm guessing either Lochnager or Hawthorn. I'm probably going with Hawthorn. I guess that trees can grow particularly quickly over 35 years. All I recall at the time was a collection of them at the foot of the crater. I haven't been back to Hawthorn since, though it is on my list. I should have gone there when I was last at Newfoundland Park

Don't know about trees but in the early '80s, I think Lochnagar had some significant bushes growing in it.

Brad

Welcome to the forum; I think you are right about the crater you went into being Hawthorn Ridge. I was up there last September and you can still climb down, we decided against it not being schoolboys (at least physically) anymore. There is an excellent view down from the edge of the crater in post 3 in this thread which may jog your memory.

Pete.

• 3 years later...

Sly,

I have just noticed this thread, and have looked at the IGN website as suggested. However since you gave details it seems to have been redesigned, and historic photos are only available from 1950 to 1965.

Is this correct, or am I missing something?

Martin