Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

3/19061 Sergeant Albert Briggs

John Beech

Afternoon All

Came across this man who is buried at Auberchicourt British Cemetery. He is listed on the CWGC as serving in 1st (Depot) Bn. Northumberland Fusiliers before transferring to 737th Area Employment Coy. Labour Corps with the number 227445. He died 8th December 1918 aged 28. Earlier in the war, many men with the 3/ prefix to their numbers joined the 1st Battalion from the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion, as recalled reservists. The NF do not appear to have had a 1st (Depot) Battalion, so wondering if this is a typo and should be 3rd (Depot) Battalion?

I will be in the area in June to visit 1706 Private J Fawkes of 1st Battalion NF and would like to identify Sergeant Briggs before my visit

Thanks

John

Hi John,

Sorry can't comment on your query but just to say please don't forget that pre war NF Special Reservists also went to "make up the numbers" when 2nd NF returned to UK in December 1914 before they joined BEF in January 1915.

Regards

Steve Y

Hi Steve

Thanks for your reply. I didn't wish to ignore the 2nd Battalion, it's just that my particular interest is 1st Battalion and I came across Sergeant Albert Briggs when planning my cemetery visits for June - 1706 Private J Fawkes is listed as dying 24th August 1914. On that day, the battalion were in action at Frameries, which is 67km from Auberchicourt. I checked his details on CWGC and came across Sergeant Albert Briggs. I assumed he was probably a 1st/2nd Battalion draftee, but it was the reference to 1st (Depot) Bn. that caught my eye. I assumed it should be either 3rd Battalion or 1st Battalion from Depot?

Regards

John

However not to be dismissed due to the changes within the Army after the War. I've haven't got my St.Georges Gazettes here with me, but remember some strange goings on within the N.F. as Battalions were disbanded or reduced to Cadre strength. Something sticks in my mind about the 3rd(Res)Bn, becoming the basis of a new 'regular' battalion, which I believe may have been the 1st(Depot)Bn, as one of the two regular battalions was reduced in strength brought back to the UK and reformed again - however I'll have to check on my return to the UK..

3/19061 Sgt Albert Briggs resided at 10 Dean Road, South Shields and doesn't seem to have served overseas with the N.F. during the War, but did eventually get to France with the Labour Corps.

Graham

As usual, many thanks for your contribution

Regards

John