Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Soldiers pictures in Pelican Pie

Andy Wade

Hello Everyone,

I posted a thread about the Divisonal magazine called Pelican Pie because I found a copy in the Keighley Library archives.

As I go through it I'm posting interesting 'stuff' on here to share with you all.

One of the things featured is a dozen pretty good photographs of soldiers who have been decorated - presumably this was just as an interesting feature in the magazine.

I thought if I post them on here (where else...) then anyone searching for them would find them in an internet search. They may be searching for a photograph of a relative and these may be unique images of them. The text under each picture also includes the citation for the award and in the case of Military medals, these may indeed be truly unique copies.

If anyone wants a full size version of any of these pictures, just get in touch with me on andy@menofworth.org.uk

So here's the first.

3053 Private Walter Astin MM Duke of Wellington's (West Riding) Regiment:

post-9980-0-23852500-1396386521_thumb.jp

Second Lieutenant John Arthur Atkin MC, KOYLI:

post-9980-0-89989600-1396386799_thumb.jp

214047 Lance Corporal Robert Cartledge MM York and Lancaster Regiment:

post-9980-0-42901300-1396386953_thumb.jp

Major the Rev C M Chavasse MC:

post-9980-0-73666800-1396387152_thumb.jp

476479 Sapper Joseph Cross MM - Royal Engineers:

post-9980-0-65123700-1396387234_thumb.jp

482140 Corporal Harry Ellis MM - Signal Company Royal Engineers:

post-9980-0-20155100-1396387367_thumb.jp

3787 Lance Corporal John Ewbank MM - West Yorkshire Regiment:

post-9980-0-06433300-1396387483_thumb.jp

44307 Private Peter Alexander Henderson MM - Machine Gun Corps:

post-9980-0-15785700-1396387611_thumb.jp

Captain Eric Beresford Humphries MC - West Yorkshire Regiment:

post-9980-0-13092400-1396387756_thumb.jp

240829 CSM William Henry Ledger MC - KOYLI:

post-9980-0-72900400-1396387888_thumb.jp

Captain Laurence Abel MacKenzie MC - Royal Army Medical Corps:

post-9980-0-76381300-1396387991_thumb.jp

403528 Corporal Frederick Watkinson MM - Royal Army Medical Corps:

post-9980-0-83765300-1396388094_thumb.jp

Hi Andy

Great pictures!!

Rev Christopher Maude Chavasse was the twin brother of Captain Noel Chavasse VC and Bar, MC, he was born twenty minutes after Noel, on 9th November 1884. Chavasse was the son of Francis Chavasse, Bishop of Liverpool and founder of St Peter's College, Oxford and his wife Ethel Maude.Both Christopher and Noel Chavasse attended Trinity College, Oxford, competing in both rugby and athletics. They competed on the British team at the 1908 Summer Olympics in London: Christopher came second in his preliminary heat of the 400 metres shortly after Noel came third in his heat of the same event. Neither advanced to the semi-finals.

During World War I, Chavasse served as a Chaplain in the Royal Army Chaplains' Department. On 15 August 1916, he was promoted from Chaplain to the Forces 4th Class (equivalent to Captain) to Chaplain to the Forces 3rd Class (equivalent to Major).On 30 September 1918, he was promoted to Chaplain to the Forces 2nd Class (equivalent to Lieutenant Colonel).

He was awarded the Croix de Guerre in 1919

Christopher married Beatrice Willink, and had three children, the oldest of whom was named Noel after his uncle. He served as the first Master of St Peter's College, Oxford upon its founding in 1929 by his father, and stayed in the church becoming Bishop of Rochester in 1940. He served until 30th September 1960 when he resigned. He died 10th March 1962

Noel won his M.C. with 10th Bn. The King's (Liverpool Regiment, to whom he was attached as medical officer, at Bellewaarde on 16th June 1915. He won his first awarded the VC for his actions on 9 August 1916, at Guillemont, France when he attended to the wounded all day under heavy fire. He second VC was awarded posthumously for the period 31 July to 2 August 1917, at Wieltje, Belgium. He died of wounds received at this time in Brandhoek and is buried at Brandhoek New Military Cemetery, Vlamertinge

A third brother, Aidan served with the 17th Bn. The King's (Liverpool Regiment) and was killed 4th July 1917 and is commemorated on the Menin Gate.

Regards

John

Many thanks for that John! :thumbsup:

I did wonder about the Chavasse name of course but hadn't had time yet to check it out further.

I'm really pleased with these pictures and accompanying text and it seemed such a shame for them to be languishing in the archive box. I really hope someone will stumble across one of these images and find that it's the only known picture of their Grandfather or something.

How much Great War stuff is still in archive boxes all over the country, just waiting to be discovered anew?

Hi Andy

Been looking for the date his MC was awarded, but the LG website has been 'revamped', and keeps crashing (Not very user friendly either!!). Your photo has him listed as major, i.e. Chaplain to the Forces 3rd Class, so presumably it was after August 1916 but before September 1918 ,when he was promoted to Chaplain to the Forces 2nd Class.

Regards

John

Andy. My publishers mate is busy compiling a list of ALL :w00t: MM winners, I am sure he will want to see/use these, I shall give Brian a call later and see if this is so. Really good images. Ralph.

Great Photos!!

I have additional info on 2nd Lieut John Arthur Atkin MC, KOYLI and CSM William Henry Ledger. Sure they were both 2/5th KOYLI in 1917.

May have a 1916 photo of Atkin

TEW

Hi Andy

Christopher Chavasse's MC appears in the London Gazette 24th August 1917. The full citation reads:

'For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. His fearlessness and untiring efforts in attending to the wounded were magnificent. Although continually under fire, he volunteered on every possible occasion to search for and bring in the wounded. No danger appeared to be too great for him to face, and he inspired others to greater effort by his splendid example'.

Yet another example of a very brave chaplain.

Regards

John

Thanks Glen

I must admit that although not particularly religious, I do have the utmost respect for the bravery that chaplains showed.

Regards

John

A little bit more on Atkin and Ledger. Plus another photo of Atkin taken in UK Summer 1916

From the WO95 diary.

ATKIN

MIRAUMONT 8/3/17

Continued to hold this line. 2nd Lieut. J. ATKIN took out a reconnoitering patrol in daylight up the MIRAUMONT – ACHIET Le PETIT road as far as the enemy’s wire. Was heavily fired upon, but returned with very valuable information. Awarded MILITARY CROSS.

Attached order

In line NW of Bullecourt 31/5/17

2/5th Bn. KING’S OWN YORKSHIRE LIGHT INFANTRY HONOURS AND REWARDS. Under authority granted by His Majesty the King, the Field Marshal Commanding-in Chief has awarded the following decorations to the undermentioned:-

LEDGER

THE MILITARY CROSS.

No. 240829 Company Sergeant Major William Henry LEDGER , K.O.Y.L.I. for the following action:- On the 3rd May, during attack on HINDENBURG LINE, Company Sergeant Major Ledger helped to rally the men, and advanced alongside Colonel Watson until the latter was killed. He continued to lead the men, and established himself in front of German second line, where he remained until bombed out by an enemy force. As he withdrew, he rescued Captain Jenkinson, York and Lancaster Regt. and dragged him to a place of safety. (Vth. Army A.M.S. to G.O.C. H.R. /978A)

aitken.jpg

Fantastic stuff!

I'm really glad I posted these images now.

Many thanks for all the answers, some excellent stuff coming out in this thread. Which of course is what this forum does best.

Ralph, if your mate does want the full size copies, just ask him to email me.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest Seandoleer

Captain Eric Beresford Humphries MC - West Yorkshire Regiment:

attachicon.gifHumphries-EricBeresford.jpg

thank you very much for posting this information. We do not have much information on our grandfather Eric. We live in Canada and were in Yorkshire to bury one of his daughters along side him in Burnsall. if there is any other information or photos we would be very grateful.

thank you very much for posting this information. We do not have much information on our grandfather Eric. We live in Canada and were in Yorkshire to bury one of his daughters along side him in Burnsall. if there is any other information or photos we would be very grateful.

You're welcome Sean, I've just emailed the full size picture to you of Captain Eric Beresford Humphries MC. Hope it's helpful to you in your research.