Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Rotherham/Sheffield War Memorial

LincsScout

Hi,

hoping someone can help - this may be a fairly obvious one. I'm currently researching all family members who fought in WW1. I have a Great, Great Uncle who was killed in 1917. He was from Rotherham and his family still lived there at the time of his death. I've tried to locate the war memorial for Rotherham or Sheffield - which I assume he is listed on - but haven't been able to locate either of them.

If anyone out there can give me location details I'd really appreciate it, will be visiting Sheffield soon and would like to visit.

Many thanks, Angie.

Hi Angie

The main memorial in Rotherham is in Clifton Park just inside the main entrance gate, at the junction of Doncaster Road and Clifton Lane.
It bears the names of 544 men from the First World War.

For Sheffield Memorials see: http://www.sheffieldsoldierww1.co.uk/Memorial/Index.html

If you post your GG Uncles name further info may come from other Forum members.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I've had a look through and tried a search on the Clifton Park memorial, but still cannot find his name among those listed! I will have to go and take a look.

His name is Alfred Ellingworth, and served in the 9th (Service) Battalion of the Yorkshire & Lancashire Regiment.

Thanks again,

Angie.

Hi Angie,

I can confirm that his name does not appear on any of the known surviving memorials in Sheffield. Linked is the NIWM page for Rotherham, the NIWM have the names from these memorials and these are due to be released online to mark the centinary. Its not uncommon for names not to appear on memorials, a Great Uncle of mine whose family lived a hundred yards from a local memorial and for what ever reason his name didn't appear on this or any other memorial in Sheffield.

good luck in your search,

Jon

Is he the Alfred Ellingworth who lived at 16 York Road in the 1911 census ? Son of Seth & Mary Ellingworth ?

Sevice number 24384 killed in action 13 Apr 1917 , buried Railway Dugouts (Transport Farm ) Belgium .

His service records survive and are available on Ancestry , including strangely his mothers death certificate .

Got your PM . If you google Eastwood Methodist mission Rotherham you may get a contact point. The building is quite new and I don't know where the original building was. York Road is very close by and his religion was shown as Methodist.

Lincs scout Attached section of Clifton Park memorial Rotherham

post-84374-0-74086800-1397133596_thumb.j

post-84374-0-50982800-1397133730_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Hi Ellis1918,

thank you so much for the above photographs. I've been extremely busy of late and haven't been on here for quite some time!

It's good to know that he is listed on the memorial and I look forward to visiting it myself in the near future.

Many thanks.

No problem LincsScout.

The " Ellis A " next but one below your man is my great Uncle LCpl Arthur Ellis 11852 of 7th battn York & Lancs killed 20 Nov 1916 aged 19.