Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anyone know London?

Gordon Caldecott

Can anyone help my locate an address, given on a Soldiers service papers as that of his next of kin.

290 Roman Rd, Holdford Raod, London.

I can`t find this place, on any map. Does anyone know where it is??

The only other info I can give you is that this soldier gives his place of birth, as The Parish of St George in the East, London.

I don`t think he`s given joey details, as all the other info given seems credable, and as he joined up in London, surely someone would have clocked him, had he given a false address.

Can anyone shine any light on this for me??

Roman road is near Hackney, East London, and Im assuming a misinterpretation as OLD FORD Road in the same area, used to have delightful girlfriend around ther e also theres an Indian Restaurant on Roman Road.

I can put you in the ball park area - Roman Road is a pretty long road that disects Hackney to the north and Mile End to the south. Holdford Road no longer exists in a current map.

This link takes you to the Greenwoods 1827 map of London - cant remember if it includes Mile End but might be worth browsing.

http://users.bathspa.ac.uk/greenwood/home.html

Guest Ian Bowbrick

The Mile End Road/Whitechapel/Spitalfields area was a lot more heavily populated in 1914/18 than it is today. The area was a great hive of activity with merchant ships moored in the pool of London and a very multi cultural population Jews, Poles, Irish immigrants many of whom married into the local populace.

I would be interested to know what trade this soldier was.

Ian

My grandad from the 17th London regt(poplar & stepney rifles) lived there before and and after the war, he lived on old ford road. I went to visit his old house, just to find its been knocked down and turned into flats!!!

Cheers Guys,

You`ve all been of great help.

Noe, is there anything of Roman Road left, or has it all been developed?

Ian, he worked as a porter, prior to enlistment. Have no idea what a porter, would do, can you shine any light on it??

Kind regards,

Gordon.

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Cheers Guys,

You`ve all been of great help.

Noe, is there anything of Roman Road left, or has it all been developed?

Ian, he worked as a porter, prior to enlistment. Have no idea what a porter, would do, can you shine any light on it??

Kind regards,

Gordon.

He could have worked at one of the food markets like Smithfield or Billingsgate or even Spitalfields, maybe Borough. Or he could have worked at a Railway Station.

Ian :)

Cheers Ian,

I`d like to think he worked at Spitalfields Market, but I supose I`ll never know for certain.

Gordon.

Cheers Ian,

I`d like to think he worked at Spitalfields Market, but I supose I`ll never know for certain.

Gordon.

Spitalfields is still there of course although no longer a fruit & veg market (and depsite all teh surrounding development) it still has that ambience.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys

I was born in Bethnal Green. From Bethnal Green tube station Roman Road runs right down to the depths of Bow but at the Bethnal Green end it was called Green Street, formerly. When the name was changed I don't know but my Nan and Aunt used to call it Green Street in the 1960's, not much help but just a bit of historical flowering ;)

Old Ford runs parallel (sort of) to Roman Road and Old Ford Road. Number 290 Roman Road would be about the junction of Roman Road and Grove Road or thereabouts and most addresses on Roman Road nowadays are shops.

I no longer live in Bethnal Green (Mum does though) so I'm still around the area a fair bit if anyone wants me to check anything out, just ask. :D

Regards,

Gary

-edit - My uncle lived just off Roman Road and worked in the offices of either Smithfield or the fruit and veg market. I'll ask mum and put yet another edit in.

My grandad from the 17th London regt(poplar & stepney rifles) lived there before and and after the war, he lived on old ford road. I went to visit his old house, just to find its been knocked down and turned into flats!!!

Hi noe

My Grandfather was also in the 17th Poplar and Stepney Rifles (William Henry Sawyer), he used to live around the Bancroft Road area. I'm still trying to find out details about what he did and where he went.

I'm just a bit amazed that I've found this board AND found someone who had a relative in the same brigade! Isn't the internet a wonderful place?

Regards,

Gary

Hi Gary,

Yes the tinternet is a grand bit of kit.

Could I ask next time you go and see you Mum, if you pass the area where 290, would have been, could you see if it`s still there for me.

Cheers,

Gordon.

Hi Gary,

Yes the tinternet is a grand bit of kit.

Could I ask next time you go and see you Mum, if you pass the area where 290, would have been, could you see if it`s still there for me.

Cheers,

Gordon.

Gordon

I had a look today and 290 doesn't exist. There is a block of flats at 300 Roman Road so I suspect that 290 could have been either on the East or West of Grove Road and on the South side of Roman Road. If you check this map: http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?lat...ale=10000&icon=

The flats are on the corner of Roman Road and Grove Road, Gernon Road runs around the back of them. The numbers actually run back down towards Bethnal Green (to the left on the map, towards the canal) so 290 could well have been on the the part of the area shown on the map as Mile End Park. As a kid I remember there were houses on Wennington Park but I don't remember that side of the road at all.

I did take a few photo's if you are interested but they aren't that good, I haven't got a wide angle lens :( Let me know if you want them.

Regards,

Gary

Chaps

I'm sorry to throw a spanner in the works but I think Roman Road has been renumbered.

When I first read the post I was interested in GaryS's comment about one end of it having used to be known as Green Street. I didn't know this but on looking on the 1914 Ordnance Survey map this was indeed the case.

This got me to thinking that whenever it was renamed that section would have to be renumbered to avoid duplication.

What clinches it is that if you look in the 1902 post office directory you will see that no 290 is the premises of a cheesemonger called Henry J Cater, and that this shop stood between Cardigan and Armagh Roads. This is much closer to the Old Ford end.

I'll post copies of the map and directory once I've scanned them in - it could be that the renumbered 290 does still exist but I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Mike

1902 post office directory

post-8-1100366385.jpg

Chaps

I've just checked the 1915 directory and Henry J Cater, cheesemonger, is still listed at 290 Roman Road in that year.

Mike

post-8-1100366963.jpg

Gary

Just doing it as you were posting. The daft thing was having worked through the directories in PDF format, I came to scan the reproduction Ordnance Survey map

only to discover that on the reverse is a copy of 1911 Post Office directory!

Not surprisingly our cheesemonger is listed at 290 :D

Here's the image - i reckon that 290 should be the third premise to the right of the corner of Cardigan Road and Roman Road.

post-8-1100368030.jpg

wouldn't it be lovely if the renumbered 290 was still there?

:D

Great stuff Mike, I'll have a look soon and grab a few shots. My Aunt used to live around the back of Vernon road, which was diverted when the new superstore went in, and although we used to go 'up the market' every week I don't remember details, that would have only been the 1960-70's anyway but while I remember the superstore, I don't remember the market shops being changed, perhaps it does exist.