Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

John Walter Bird Y & L Medal Query

saw119

Been helping a chap research his Grandfather John Walter Bird private in the Y & L but I'm having a bit of a problem with a medal discrepancy. His MIC states his number as 200072 which I think is a 1917 TA renumber for the 4th battalion. His MIC states he is entitled to the War and Britiah medals yet I have seen a photo of him in later life wearing a 14/15 Star as well as his other medals and his Territorial Efficiency medal. I can't seem to locate another MIC for him either. Anyone on here want to have a go at solving this?

Are you 100% you have the correct John Bird? There's more than 1 in the Y&L.

Sam

Well now you've said that I'm not so sure. I haven't seen the other chaps MIC is he a better candidate?

Well now you've said that I'm not so sure. I haven't seen the other chaps MIC is he a better candidate?

200072 has an entitlement to a Territorial Efficiency Medal, which might make him the most likely candidate if there are photos of him wearing one. Have searched ancestry for John Bird, John Walter Bird, J W Bird, J Bird etc and all that has come up so far is John W Bird (200072)'s MIC and SWB entries for three John Birds: 1944 from 5th Bn, 204793 from 1st/ 5th and 26909 from 16th Bn and later RDC. None of which solves the mystery of his 14-15 Star entitlement!

On the NA's there's 2 cards for a John Bird both stating he's 1/5th Y&L, one with a pre and one with a post-renumbering service number, I'm not saying they're one and the same man, or that they relate to the man you're looking at, but if you're not certain the man you quote is the correct one!

Sam

Thing is the 1/5th are a Rotherham TA unit, I'm pretty sure, and my J W Bird is a Sheffield man, just like the 1/4th was a Sheffield unit.

John Bird (1944) and John Bird (204793) - both from 5th Bn - are different people. Both have SWB entries showing that one enlisted in March 1914 and was discharged in December 1915 and the other enlisted in December 1915 and was discharged in October 1918.

John Bird (1944), who would have had a 14-15 Star if he had arrived in France with his battalion in April 1915, might have been renumbered 200072 but had been discharged before the renumbering happened in 1917.

I think we are dealing with three different people.

Thing is the 1/5th are a Rotherham TA unit, I'm pretty sure, and my J W Bird is a Sheffield man, just like the 1/4th was a Sheffield unit.

Although I noticed that John Bird (204793) from 1st/5th lived at 141 Charles Street in Sheffield...

Thanks for that info. This requires further investigation.

Yikes, forgot an important piece of information. I have a photo of said John Walter Bird captioned 'J Bird Bandsman 4th Battalion Hallamshire Rifles' Which is the 1/4th Y & L. It is also clearly the same man as in the later photo wearing all the medals.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;y04062&prevUrl=

Anyone have any idea why there is no 14/15 Star info on his MIC?

post-1084-0-49507900-1395768574_zps1aed9

Some men have a MIC for the 14 and 14/15 Star only with their number at the time, in the case of TF men their pre re-numbering Service number, and a 2nd with their post re-numbering Service number for the War and Victory medals.

He should try the family to see if any of them have the medals.

Sam

He was buried wearing his medals.