Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

495th & 497th (Kent Royal Engineers)

Guest Jkwinston

Guest Jkwinston

My Grandfather (Sydney James St. John Waghorne) enlisted June 1914 in the 1/1 Kent Field Royal Engineers. After getting dysentery at Gallipoli, he was released from the hospital and transferred to the 1/3 Kent Field Royal Engineers serving the 29th Division.

I have researched much of his information and was lucky to have his Army Books and related service documents, even though they didn't contain any battle details (Mostly poems, addresses, and official papers), it is hard to understand everything this great man went through during WWI without hearing about his daily life.

Grandfather sadly passed away before any of us grandchildren were born, so this project has become very important for our family heritage.

He survived the Great War (Was hospitalized twice) and demobilized in Feb. 1919.

Any dairies which I can read from these two Regiments would be greatly appreciated or suggestions of other reading materials. Grandfather settled here in Texas after the War.

Thanks in advance and thank you for this site. I can't wait to post all the documents and story on the IVM life stories soon.

• 2 weeks later...

This recording of a gentleman who served as a Sapper in the first unit your Great Grandfather served in may interest you 495th KFRE http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/80008943 another thing you may be interested in is a diary on here on the forums called "Great Grandfather's Great War Notebook". incidentally my Great Grandfather was also a Sapper in the KFRE although not sure if was the same unit as your Great grandfather? He was in 1/2 Kent Fortress Royal Engineers and also served at Suvla Bay Gallipoli I believe attached to the 2nd Mounted Division! His unit later went on to be used in North Africa renamed as 496 Company RE.

• 1 month later...

My GF, Robert Sawers, was with the Royal Engineers (495th (Kent) Fld.Co), and told stories about building a railway which reached behind enemy (Turkish) lines. He did receive the MC, but without any citation, and on 1.1.1919, so I'm not sure how involved he really was. As an officer (Acting Captain) he seems to have had use of a horse and, at one stage, a camel.

Any tips for finding out more?

Hello,

Have you done a search including the railway built from Kantara to El Arish during the push to Romani - not sure if the 495th were involved.

Regards,

Ian.

Thanks, Ian. Do you mean a Google search, or are you thinking of more specific sources?

I did mean google for the more general info which might lead on to more specific info on your GF. I assume you have searched the usual Ancestry and N.A. sources.

The only reason I became aware of this railway was that my grandfathers regiment travelled the line and was involved with guard duty during its extension towards El Arish.

Regards,

Ian.

Mate,

Large numbers of aussie LH soldiers were attached to the two main British Railway units operational in Egypt and Palestine.

These being 115 and 116 Railway Constrution Companies RE.

Most aussie being with these units between Aug 1917 to June 1918 build the rail line and later rebuilding the old Turkish rail system.

S.B

Thanks, SB. My GF would've enjoyed that, seeing as he has relatives in Australia too. Also, his Dad was a railwayman, so he grew up with them, and he himself had trained as an electrical engineer.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you seen these?

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/73536498

http://www.railwaywondersoftheworld.com/palestine.html

This transformation, so beneficial to Haifa, took place in 1905 when the Dar’a-Haifa
railway was opened. The transport of crops from Houran to Haifa was simplified by
the railway services that delivered products to the port where they were packed and
exported to determined destinations, particularly Europe. The Turkish authorities
doubled the length of the Haifa port to enable it to absorb the large commercial ships
arriving there. Yet the Turks did not complete their work–that was done by the English
after they occupied Haifa and the rest of Palestine at the end of WWI.18

from

www.jerusalemquarterly.org/PDF/issues-pdf/28issue.pdf

The 18 citation is for a Benyamin Yaffee, 144. Probably best to read the whole paper, for context.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello shotnell and welcome to the Forum.

That's a great photo. Is there a family connection?

Unfortunately, as Graeme said in post #4, the original poster never came back.

From memory, I believe that there are other threads on the Forum discussing the Kent Field Companies, if you are interested in them.

Phil

• 1 month later...

Hi Phil

Only just seen reply, My grandfather was in the Royal Engineers 1st West Riding, 455 COY attached to the 29th Div. Reading the war diaries they worked closely with the Kent COY. I only have a pile of photos, he never told me anything. I assume he knew one.

Please see my recent post./ pic

Thanks

mike