Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Uniform Identification?

Rippers

Hi,

I don't know if anyone can help. I have some Great Great Uncles that I am researching.

The first is Arhtur Rainey, he was born/ lived in Bridgwater Somerset with his brothers Harry, Reginald (and Herbert who didn't serve due to his health).

Arthur Rainey as pictured in the link, I believe served in France/Belgium and had shell shock and was gassed. I have no other information on him.

Harry Rainey pictured below, served as a stretcher bearer in the Dardanelles. I understand he may have been medically discharged for mental problems as a result of his job. I wandered whether he was in the RAMC? Although I was told that band members were used as stretcher bearers, but I don't know if he was musical. His picture looks like he may have spurs on his boots?

I do not have any numbers to help with the above, and the surname Rainey is pretty common. If anyone has some pointers I would be most greatful.

Reginald George Rainey served in the A.O.C. and became a Sgt no. 07323. He was caught by the Germans on a beach so I am told, in France. He stayed in Calais after WW1 and was then interned by the Nazis in WW2 as a resident of Ilag viii, one of his wives was sent to Vittel.

Finally, I believe the picture below is my Great Great Uncle Private Jack Dawson 2271, unfortunately there isn't a name on the picture. Can anyone confirm if it is a Hertfordshire Yeomanry Uniform in the picture below? He was very old when I met him and I was about 6 or 7.

Many Thanks

John

John

The lad you have listed as jack dawson looks like a young officer in the Duke of Wellingtons (West Riding Regiment)

Harry Rainey could be an Artilleryman he has spurs and bandolier so is a mounted soldier.

Ady

"Arthur" appears to be in the Army Service Corps, a Lance Corporal.

"Harry" is indeed in the Royal Artillery, either the RFA, RHA, RGA, etc.

"Jack", as Ady has already said, is not wearing the uniform of a Private in the Hertfordshire Yeomanry but that of an officer in the West Riding Regiment. So unless he was promoted from the ranks it has possibly been misidentified.

On 01/04/2014 at 08:50, Rippers said:

Hi,

I don't know if anyone can help. I have some Great Great Uncles that I am researching.

The first is Arhtur Rainey, he was born/ lived in Bridgwater Somerset with his brothers Harry, Reginald (and Herbert who didn't serve due to his health).

Arthur Rainey as pictured in the link, I believe served in France/Belgium and had shell shock and was gassed. I have no other information on him.

Harry Rainey pictured below, served as a stretcher bearer in the Dardanelles. I understand he may have been medically discharged for mental problems as a result of his job. I wandered whether he was in the RAMC? Although I was told that band members were used as stretcher bearers, but I don't know if he was musical. His picture looks like he may have spurs on his boots?

I do not have any numbers to help with the above, and the surname Rainey is pretty common. If anyone has some pointers I would be most greatful.

Reginald George Rainey served in the A.O.C. and became a Sgt no. 07323. He was caught by the Germans on a beach so I am told, in France. He stayed in Calais after WW1 and was then interned by the Nazis in WW2 as a resident of Ilag viii, one of his wives was sent to Vittel.

Finally, I believe the picture below is my Great Great Uncle Private Jack Dawson 2271, unfortunately there isn't a name on the picture. Can anyone confirm if it is a Hertfordshire Yeomanry Uniform in the picture below? He was very old when I met him and I was about 6 or 7.

Many Thanks

John

Hi John,

According to his Medal Index Card 2271 Jack Dawson served the entire war with the Herts Yeo, so unless he was commissioned after the end of the war which is unlikely because his card states:

'Disembodied', which I believe means discharged completely from the army. I think that this photo must relate to another relative?

Robert

Thank you for all your responses.

I might have a mystery relative then - I have Jacks medals and card. I guess it could be a cousin or one of my Great Grans boyfriends pre Great Grandad!

Rainey's - that helps narrow down the search a bit.

Many Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have been trying to find the medal index cards for Arthur Rainey and Harry Rainey. As mentioned above in the post and below.

(Arthur Rainey as pictured in the link, I believe served in France/Belgium and had shell shock and was gassed. I have no other information on him.

Harry Rainey pictured below, served as a stretcher bearer in the Dardanelles. I understand he may have been medically discharged for mental problems as a result of his job. I wandered whether he was in the RAMC? Although I was told that band members were used as stretcher bearers, but I don't know if he was musical. His picture looks like he may have spurs on his boots?)

I have found have found 4 possibilities for Arthur Rainey I was told he was in the Somme?:

Arthur Rainey ASC M2/174679

Arthur Rainey ASC T/390794 - Silver War Badge B315359 Sickness enlist 2/3/16 - Discharge 23/9/19 xvi, but no overseas service.

Arthur J Rainey ASC DM2/209365

Arthur Raine ASC T3/027047

I cannot find Harry Rainey in relation to Artillery.

My question is, is it possible to associate army numbers to enrollment locations? If so how? Both were born in Bridgwater Somerset, Arthur in 1890 and Harry in 1895.

If anyone has any pointers it would be most helpful, as all I have is the pictures or am I being stupid and missing the obvious.

Many Thanks

John

Of the two remaining numbers, T3 was a prefix given to those men enlisted in Horse Transport, M2 was the prefix given to electricans and fitters in Mechanical Transport.

Arthur used to work for Starkey Knight and Ford - a brewery company in Bridgwater. I guess he may have leant more towards a horse than electrics.

Cheers

• 5 months later...

Hi,

Still stuck on the Rainey's.

But I have found an interesting site specifically to do with Bridgwater Somerset, that has brief out-takes with bold surnames from 1914 to 1918 editions of the local paper. See below if anyone is interested.

http://www.bridgwatermuseum.info/archives/war_records/

I have only skimmed through it, and have come across an H Rainey who was a POW and a Corporal in the Somerset Light Infantry. I don't know if this was my relative yet or not though.

Also I believe who I thought was Jack Dawson is actually Harry Clifford Marshall who I believe was in the West Riding Regiment as a 2nd Lieutenant. I have a postcard to my Great Gran from H.C Marshall from to quote "somewhere in France" .

Thank you for your help with the uniform ID on that one.

• 1 year later...

Hi

I have finally located my Great Uncles Service Numbers from the register of absent voters list for the Bridgwater constituency and therefore have their medal cards. However this still raises a couple questions:

Arthur Rainey:

"Rainey Arthur 115 Taunton Rd Bridgwater M/2/174679 L/Cpl 178th Siege Batty RGA Q/REr 13/2"

His medal card has him as a Private in the A.S.C. with the same number. I thought their numbers changed when they were transferred, or was he attached to the 178th as part of the A.S.C.? Also was the 178th involved in the Somme?

Harry Rainey:

Rainey Harry 144 St John St Bridgwater 202481 Pte 2/4th Wilts Q/REr 13/2

My question here is: I have looked at the Wardrobe site and it says the 2/4 Wilts were sent to India, however as above we were told he was involved in the Dardanelles, and I saw that some troops were sent to support the frontlines from the 2/4's. How would I find out the regiment he joined?

I do not know if anyone can help, but it would be great if you could.

Many Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Of the two remaining numbers, T3 was a prefix given to those men enlisted in Horse Transport, M2 was the prefix given to electricans and fitters in Mechanical Transport.

It has now been established that both M1 and M2 prefixes refer to Drivers Mechanical Transport,

Hi Tomo.

Yes I managed to speak to Firepower. They said he (Arthur Rainey) would have driven 4x4 vehicles towing Howitzers in the Somme with in gas range. I am glad I have made progress with him, would be good to see his medals though if they still exist, but I would need more luck than he had finding those.

Many Thanks

More like caterpillar tracked tractors than 4x4 I would imagine, such as a Holt tractor:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holt_tractor

He would have been an Army Service Corps on attachment to the Royal Garrison Artillery.

Steve.