Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

On War Service Badge-Looking for info please

yelob

Hello all,

Just looking please for info on a On War Service badge I recently received. Labelled as JR Gaunt on back and a number 43682. Any info appreciated, especially on who would have been most likely recipients and why introduced etc.

Many Thanks in advance,

Liam

post-74290-0-52318400-1396300628_thumb.j

JR Gaunt was a manufacturer.

Can you do a close up of the front to show the wording?

Thanks Chris, really helpful stuff. Mine has a 'K' symbol as well which the article notes as being possibly relating to the occupation of the wearer.

Johnboy, thanks too and if you look at page 2 of Chris's link you will see a bigger picture of the badge I have.

Cheers,Liam

Quite helpful. Wonder what K stands for and what happened to the previous letters of the alphabet

I was thinking Key punch operator or something to do with Kitchens but as you say why so few letters.

Quite helpful. Wonder what K stands for and what happened to the previous letters of the alphabet

I have a Gaunt made one too, mine is stamped with a capital A on the back of the crown, have seen many different letters and always wondered what the letter indicated,

John.

Maybe they were issued in series, changing the letter prefix after reaching a certain number? similar to rifles.

khaki

Makes sense Khaki, but the article only mentions letters from K upwards.

If the numbers were not officially recorded then they could be the manufacturers numbers.?