Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Navy service record use of words

duece

Hello all,

I am having difficulties in reading the handwriting of my ancestors naval service record.

My ancestor was serving on HMS Prince of Wales at the time, and I am sure he winded up behind bars a couple of times...

Can I asume that "10 day(s) cells" is a sentance onboard the ships jail?

Cheers,

Dre

Hi Dre

Yep, correct assumption, your man served the 10 days in cells aboard HMS Prince of Wales. Usually cells were situated forr'ard (towards the sharp end). Defaulters were locked up usually with a marine guard, often punishment included working on menial tasks then locked up for the remainder of the day. Usual crimes were drunkenness, repeated lateness for duty or from shore leave and minor insubordination.

Regards

Owlman

Hello Owlman,

thank you very much for your reply and conformation!

I was also meaning to ask you if the offense would have been noted in the ships logg and if so would HMS Prince of Wales (pre-dreadnaught) ships logg still exist (Nat.Arch) as she did not go down but was scrapped....

Regards,

Dre

The PRINCE OF WALES log books for 1904-1917 are at TNA in ref: ADM 53.

There were other consequences. A sentence of 'Cells' also meant that the time in cells was forfeited and did not count towards good conduct badges or pension. Ten days in cells (up to 22 days) also resulted in a reduction of Character assessment from 'Very Good' to 'Good' at the end of the calendar year. 22 to 60 days cells earned a 'Fair' assessment. This, in turn, could affect the award of a Long Service and Good Conduct Medal.

Hi Horatio2,

thank you for your reply and information, looking at his record he started of allright as I can tell from his postings and character comments.

Very good, very good etc and then something big must have triggerd my ancestor as he winds up in detention/cells 3 times in a row for a totall of 70 days....

I am very keen to try and find out what my ancestor had been up to and if possible the reason why, I was wondering if the ships log book would have any entries concerning his offence etc.

And especially the exact date of his sentance would help a lot in my investigation and theories...

After the last 10 days sentance my ancestor gets his life back on track as he moves on from fair to good and very good for the duration of his service.

Regards,

Dre