Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

17th Bn Middlesex Regt - Feb 1917

rocknrollnobody

Afternoon,

I've been a lurker on this forum for years whilst doing my own research. However, I've reached a point where I cannot figure out what happened to a relative of mine.

Name: Tookey, Walter Charles

No.: F/519

Aged: 22

Regt: 17th Bn, Middlesex Regt

DoD: 17/02/1917

Buried: Regina Trench Cemetery, Grandcourt, France

Walter and his older brother John emigrated to Canada a couple of years before war broke out. John joined up whilst in Canada (Manitoba Regt, killed 28/09/18 and buried in Fontaine-Notre-Dame), however Walter was an avid football player, and so decided to return to England and join the 'Football Battalion'.

My issue is this; I cannot find action from the 17th Bn Middlesex on this day in this area. The action was definitely ongoing in this area, but it appears that it was undertaken by Marines and RNLI. I also cannot find a war diary for the 17th Bn readily available (which is how I found out what happened to John!).

Since this was quite a well-known and popular battalion, I'm hoping someone can shed some light what they were up to on this day, or how I would find out if he died due to disease rather than action.

Any assistance you can offer is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Stuart

The National flipping Archives. Don't really know how I missed that.

Thanks indeed Graeme.

So he was definitely KIA, and I'll get the war diary later on to figure out which action he was involved in. All the information I can find on 17/02/17 is centred around Miraumont, but with no mention of this battalion.

Graeme,

I'm now confused. The first image clearly states Walter was killed in action on the 17th, yet the Regt history states there were no casualties from the 17th Bn on this date.

Bizarre.

Stuart

So it looks like the Rgt History is perhaps a little rose-tinted? What do you think about the discrepancy here?

• Admin

Stuart

The history says there are no records of casualties on that date. The author may not have had access to all the material or the detailed casualty returns had been lost etc.

Glen

It's looking more likely that he was killed whilst supporting the main assault, despite not being a part of it.

I appreciate the effort you guys put into this research, and so you have my gratitude.

• 4 months later...

Yes, 5 men killed that day, one of the company were carrying up munnitions and supplies to the front line. Walter from Leicester was killed and his Mother Would also lose her other son in 1918.

Have you come across the book "When The Whistle Blows" based on 17th Middlesex.