Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Recent Somme/Ypres trip

Len Trim

Just returned from our annual school trip, now resurrected despite my retirement nearly two years ago. Amazed how busy it was as early as March. Rarely had places associated with the 'First Day of the Somme' to our self. Seven coaches at Ulster Tower at lunch time! Incidentally direct route from Newfoundland Park closed at railway line. Detour via Aveluy etc.

Further north Tyne Cot had ten coaches at midday. Can highly recommend giving at least an hour to museum at Zonnebeke. New trench set up excellent and may mean for some, especially school parties, the dropping of Sanctuary Wood museum and its associated H&S problems. Incidentally owner in hospital last week and place tidiest I have ever seen it. Leonidas chocolate shop as welcoming to school parties as ever. Three parties of forty odd through it in one hour! Good luck to them they lay on a much loved service. Friday night Menin Gate busy by 7.30. At least five hundred people there by eight. Eighteen groups including my Crieff High School laying wreaths. Coaches parked alongside canal no problem, but very busy. What is it going to get like as the year progresses?

Trip went well. Weather roasting. Pupils got a lot out of it. On day one at Vimy added Notre Dam de Lorette which was 'awesome'.

Len