Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Verlustlisten abbreviations

trajan

I suspect that those who study such things as the verlustlisten probably know of this web site that I stumbled across - http://wiki-de.genealogy.net/Verlustlisten_Erster_Weltkrieg/Dienstgrad but others might find it of some use.

The introduction says:

"Hier eine Liste der Dienstgradbezeichnungen und Funktionsbezeichnung, die in den Verlustlisten vorkommen.

Die Liste ist alphabetisch sortiert.

Kombinationen der Begriffe sind z. Teil möglich (z.B. Gefreiter Tambour)

Liste ist nicht vollständig!

Um Missverständnisse zu vermeiden: Bei der Erfassung der Verlustlisten werden keine Dienstgrade oder Funktionsbezeichnungen aufgenommen!"

In other words, it is alphabetical and incomplete list of the abbreviated ranks and the status of men entered into the Verlustlisten. I'm not quite certain how to interpret the last sentence, though, which says something about correcting the common misunderstanding that ranks were entered in the casualty lists? :unsure: My only excuse for this being that it has been more than 40 years since I lived in Germany!

Trajan

I suspect that those who study such things as the verlustlisten probably know of this web site that I stumbled across - http://wiki-de.genealogy.net/Verlustlisten_Erster_Weltkrieg/Dienstgrad but others might find it of some use.

The introduction says:

"Hier eine Liste der Dienstgradbezeichnungen und Funktionsbezeichnung, die in den Verlustlisten vorkommen.

Die Liste ist alphabetisch sortiert.

Kombinationen der Begriffe sind z. Teil möglich (z.B. Gefreiter Tambour)

Liste ist nicht vollständig!

Um Missverständnisse zu vermeiden: Bei der Erfassung der Verlustlisten werden keine Dienstgrade oder Funktionsbezeichnungen aufgenommen!"

In other words, it is alphabetical and incomplete list of the abbreviated ranks and the status of men entered into the Verlustlisten. I'm not quite certain how to interpret the last sentence, though, which says something about correcting the common misunderstanding that ranks were entered in the casualty lists? :unsure: My only excuse for this being that it has been more than 40 years since I lived in Germany!

Trajan

My experience is sometimes they did include ranks, but sometimes they didn't. The style and content varied considerably over the course of the war, which I learned first hand while researching my own family who appeared in various VLs, which, for a rookie like me, is quite maddening. I hope that they create (if they have not already) something to help more with the abbreviations they often use in the comments.

-Daniel

The thing is that the ranks are not transcribed in the Verlustlisten project (volunteers are transcribing all Verlustlisten, but only last name, first name and place is transcribed).

Well I had noticed that list of abbreviations in passing when it came up in response to another query all together on Google.de - and it was only later in the day that I was amazed to discover (reading the sub-heading menu) that - as AOK4 indicates - they were actually transcribing those lists for the internet! - http://wiki-de.genealogy.net/Verlustlisten_Erster_Weltkrieg/Projekt

This is such an incredible project, and my hat goes off to the originator of the idea and especially the people who are doing it! And thanks for explaining that last bit of German I couldn't quite get, AOK4!

Phoebus: I can understand how maddening it must have been for you struggling for years with all the actual documents - I am having a hard enough time working my way through the Vorschriften, which at least don't have that many abbreviations!

Julian