Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Irish Regiment, 2nd Battalion end 1915-July 1916

FrancesH

I am researching Lt Isaac Usher, born 1896 Dundrum, Dublin, died 4/6/1916 serving with 2nd Battalion, Royal Irish Regiment. He served with the regiment from November 1915 when he sailed to France. I have not been able to find out what his battalion was doing at the end of 1915 and early 1916. (Usher was absent in January with measles by the way.) I have seen Usher's file in the National Archives so I know about his death and how he joined the army -- I am more interested at this moment in understanding what military experience he had and where. Can anybody help? If anyone can, it will I am sure be someone on this forum!

Dublin

Isaac William

Usher

Lieutenant

Royal Irish Regiment

2nd Battalion

04/07/1916

Dundrum, County Dublin

Killed in action

Son of Isaac W Usher, brother of Rose P M E Usher, listed in the 1911 Census in Dundrum, County Dublin.

The Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. 1916. Lieutenant I W Usher.—Lieutenant Isaac W Usher, Royal Irish Regiment, son of Dr Isaac W Usher, J.P., Dundrum, County Dublin, has been killed in action. His adjutant states that “he was killed while leading his platoon in a very dashing attack against a very strong German position, which we afterwards captured. In fact, he was wounded first and refused to elave his men when he might easily have got away.” Lieutenant Usher was only 20 years of age.

Irish Times. Usher-July 4, killed in action, Isaac w Usher, Lieutenant, Royal Irish regiment, son of Isaac W Usher, J.P., Dundrum, County Dublin.

Listed in 'Our Heroes.' Containing the photographs with biographical notes of Officers of Irish Regiments and of Irish Officers of British Regiments who have fallen in action, or who have been mentioned for distinguished conduct from August, 1914, to July, 1916. Published in 1916.

III L 6

Danzig Alley British Cemetery, Mametz, France.

Thank you Museumtom for your quick response. I have seen this information and found it hard to get any further with Lt Usher's individual case. To clarify, I should like to know more about what the battalion was doing whilst he was a member of it, as I fear I won't find out any more about him personally.

Thank you Museumtom for your quick response. I have seen this information and found it hard to get any further with Lt Usher's individual case. To clarify, I should like to know more about what the battalion was doing whilst he was a member of it, as I fear I won't find out any more about him personally.

Try searching and downloading the war diaries

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/war-diaries-ww1.htm

No doubt this is my own fault, but I can't find any war diaries for the Royal Irish Regiment at all??

Thank you Alfie! I think the problem was I was making my search term too complicated. Works perfectly with just 'royal irish'!