Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Irish Rifles

GraemeClarke

Morning

Pushing my luck a bit here I fear BUT can anyone help with the War Diary entries for any of the following battalions/dates, please.

1st Battalion, Royal Irish Rifles

Wednesday 15 November 1916 done thanks to Colin Taylor

2nd Battalion, Royal Irish Rifles

Wednesday 4 April 1917 (DOW this date) done thanks to Jimmy Taylor

6th Battalion, Royal Irish Rifles

Wednesday 16 May 1917

7th Battalion, Royal Irish Rifles

Saturday 10 March 1917 (DOW this date) done thanks to Steve Hoy

14th Battalion, Royal Irish Rifles

Thursday 28 June 1917

15th Battalion, Royal Irish Rifles done thanks to Michael

Tuesday 22 October 1918

Many thanks for any help rendered

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme

1st R Ir Rif war diary:

Hoggs Trench[?] '4.30pm Battalion relieved by 2nd South Wales Borderers - March to Sandpits Camp near Meaulte. [in margin] No 14 4 OR killed, 3 OR wounded, No[v] 15 13 OR killed, 19 OR wounded 1 OR missing'

I have the battalion history of 2nd R Ir Rif at home and can check this for information in a week or so.

6th R Ir Rif were at Salonika - few people may have this diary and I'm not sure it has been digitized - it might be worth a separate topic.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Kind regards

Colin

Morning Colin,

Once again, many thanks for your help with the War Diary. (Could it be Black Trench in the WD ??).

Many thanks for the offer of the Regimental History, I have some info from this or similar already. Problem is he was wounded so I really need the WD to complete.

Cheers,

Graeme

• 3 months later...

Here is what you need to know from the War Diary of 2nd RIR

15.2.1917 Battalion training in billets. Bomb accident on training field. No. 9641 Sergt. G. Reading and No. 40960 Rfn. Cruickshanks injured. 2/Lt. E.J. Williams slightly injured. Remained at duty. Cause of accident - premature explosion of No. 5 Mills Bomb.

This is all I have so far

Reading 2/9641 a/CSM George Alfred mm. Born at Palfrey, Walsall, Staffordshire, 1893, the son of George and Susannah Reading. His father was a railway guard. The 1901 Census shows the family at 2 Cobden Street, Walsall. Children present were Louie (12), Ellen (10), George (7), Charles (5), and William A. (3). By 1911 George (17) was serving with 3rd South Staffordshire Regt (SR) at Whittington Barracks, Lichfield. To BEF as a Rfn with 2nd RIR, 15.8.1914. Awarded the Military Medal as a/Cpl, 1.9.1916. Promoted Sgt. War Diary 15.2.1917: ‘Battalion training in billets. Bomb accident on training field. No. 9641 Sergt. G. Reading and No. 40960 Rfn. Cruickshanks injured. 2/Lt. E.J. Williams slightly injured. Remained at duty. Cause of accident – premature explosion of No. 5 Mills Bomb.’ DOW 4.4.1917, age 23. NOK was his sister Mrs Louisa Pratley, 18 Cambridge Street, Caldmore, Walsall. Wimereux Communal Cemetery, II.F.13A.

Graeme,

I have the War Diary of the 7th Battalion, and the entry for 10th March 1917 is a one liner - "Battalion had baths at Westoutre".

However, on the 8th March the battalion was in action, suffering a number of casualties, and on 9 March they were relieved by the 9th Royal Dublin Fusiliers and withdrew to Birr Barracks, Locre becoming the brigade reserve battalion.

I'd be more than happy to send you a copy if that would help.

Steve

Hi Jimmy,

Fantastic information, many thanks for replying to the thread,

post-10072-0-15856800-1406280086_thumb.j

can I be very rude and ask a couple of questions.

1) can you tell me where the billets were, please.

2) Can help with a new man I'm researching who died Monday 4 September 1916 serving in 2nd Battalion.

Regards,

Graeme

Hi Graeme, Have the 15th Diary for 22nd Oct 18 you are looking for. It reads,

'Battalion moves into Bde support at 0800 to support and form left flank guard for 2nd Royal Irish Rifles with Battalion HQ at I.11.C.10.10. Dispositions, B Company in front, D and A Companies, the latter both left on E

Apologies Graeme, last bit fell off. Will try again!

'Battalion moves into Bde support at 0800 to support and form left flank guard for 2nd Royal Irish Rifles with Battalion HQ at I.11.C.10.10. Dispositions, B Company in front, D and A Companies, the latter both left on E bank of GAVERBEEKE at I.11.d Central, with B Company's right at J.13.d central in touch with 2nd Royal Irish Rifles.Lt RD Williams MC joined and took over duties of adjutant. Capt W Somers MC joined and took command of A company. Casualties - 2 OR's killed. 4 Offs, (Capt FM Gaunt, 2nd Lt B Stow, Lt GA McFarland and 2nd Lt CB McComb) and 52 OR's wounded. 2 OR's missing. 2nd Lt B Stow died of wounds.'

Got there! Hope this helps

Michael

Hi Jimmy,

Fantastic information, many thanks for replying to the thread,

attachicon.gifreading ga 3.jpg

can I be very rude and ask a couple of questions.

1) can you tell me where the billets were, please.

2) Can help with a new man I'm researching who died Monday 4 September 1916 serving in 2nd Battalion.

Regards,

Graeme

1) Romarin Camp near Bailleul. They were operating in the Ploegsteert area.

2) 5/8273 Rfn Louis James. Born at Darlaston, Staffordshire. Formerly served as 100154 in the RFA. Enlisted in 5th RIR. To BEF in 1916 and posted to 2nd RIR. DOW 4.9.1916. Varennes Military Cemetery, I.A.34.

1.9.1916 In trenches in front of OVILLERS. Relieved by 13th Cheshire Regt. Relief complete about – . "A" and "C" Companies occupied dugouts in OVILLERS and "C" and "D" Companies occupied dugouts at DONNETS POST (X ) the Battalion being in Brigade Reserve. Working parties were found throughout the day and night working on the front line and communication trenches. Casualties 1 other rank wounded. Lieut. J.R. Tuckett, 2/R.I.R., to Field Ambulance, sick. 6 other ranks joined the Battalion. Strength of Battalion 25 officers, 695 other ranks.

2.9.1914 In Brigade reserve as above. Usual working parties found. Draft of 5 other ranks. Battle casualties Nil. 2/Lt. F.P. Crowley, 3/Leinster Regt., to Field Ambulance. Quiet day.

3.9.1914 In Brigade Reserve as above. Working parties found as above. Capt. Stott, R.A.M.C., relieved by Lieut. Andrew Beaconsfield Ross, R.A.M.C. 2/Lt. Martin Joseph McDonnell, 2/R.I.R., joined the Battalion having received a Regular commission from the Irish Guards. Battle casualties Nil.

4.9.1914 In Brigade Reserve. Usual working parties found. Quiet day. Battle casualties 4 other ranks wounded.