Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Medal Winner?

Martyn Gibson

A conversation with an ageing aunt earlier today threw up an interesting little nugget of information. I had been discussing with her what I had already found on my Granfather (her dad) when she threw me the line "well you know his brother Harold won the Military Medal".

As is normal here she doesn't know anything else. Not a regiment or where this medal may have been won.

Question......is there anywhere I can go to find this information or does any kind soul on this site have that information to hand. I would be eternally gratefull for any information.

The family were living in Wales at the time so he may have joined one of the Welsh Regiments (most definately not the Monmouthshire's).

I do hope her memory has served her well and this is not some kind of chinese whisper passed on over the years.

Thanks pals

Regards

Martyn

Martyn,

A surname would be a good start!

Steve

Doh !!!!!!!!

Harold Gibson

Sorry about that...the lights are on but no ones in!!!!!!!!!

Martyn

Fingers too fast?

Not Harold GIBSON perchance?

Steve

('scuse the hijack) but does anyone know if there is a list of MM (or other awards) recipients for the Royal Irish Fusiliers?

I am seeking info. on one Robert HERRON, who supposedly won this medal for rescuing a wounded man (from No Man's Land) going by the name of Bill Preston, in about 1916, and probably on The Somme. I can't find a trace of it on the LG, and if confirmed it should cut down the likely individuals to one man.

Cheers

Richard

Martyn:

51516 Gnr. H. Gibson, RFA received the MM in the LG 11 Nov 16

76289 Sjt. H. Gibson, RGA received the MM in the LG 18 Jul 17

Unfortunately I do not have first names for either. Regards. Dick Flory

Dick,

Many thanks for that info. I will now do some checking to see if he is one of these gentleman.

Regards

Martyn

Martyn:

51516 Gnr. H. Gibson, RFA received the MM in the LG 11 Nov 16

76289 Sjt. H. Gibson, RGA received the MM in the LG 18 Jul 17

Unfortunately I do not have first names for either. Regards. Dick Flory

51516 Gunner Hugh Gibson & 76289 Sergeant Harry Gibson.............info from the online MIC's

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I may have found my man trawling through the LG website. I have found a Sapper H Gibson, 350th E & M Coy. The records say from Ebbw Vale, so currently trying to find out what the unit was.

Regards

Martyn