Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Roy Evans

Montreal Camp. Ypres

Roy Evans

According to my records, the 1/6th South Staffords spent the period 3rd to 9th of June 1915 in 'F' huts at Ouderdom. What were 'F' huts?

Paul Reed

'F' Huts or F Camp was a hutted camp - probably with wooden barracks or Nissen Huts. There were a number of them in the rear area in the Salient and many of them had a letter prefix - the prefix meant nothing, it was just a way of identifying the camp.

Others had more unusual names; 'MicMac' for example.

Weren't you working on an index of these, Chris?

Chris_Baker

Yes, I am, although I fear it is another never-ending task. I should have my first release (and even that will not be complete) of camps in the rear areas behind Ypres within a week or two.

zijde26

To Chris,

Could you give a sign when you are releasing it ? (first release of camps in the rear areas behind the Ypres salient ) I am very interested in this publication.

Gilbert Deraedt :)

Chris_Baker

It does depend on how busy I am in terms of my day time work, but let's say two weeks from now?

zijde26

In my opinion, 'F Huts' belongs to the camp 'Dickebusch Huts' . This camp was situated in the neighbourhood of the nowadays disappeared "Goedmoet" windmill and between Ouderdom and Dickebusch in the Ypres Salient behind the front lines. This village had in the years 1915-1917 one of the largest concentrations of troops.

Roy, does your publication say anything further on this 'Huts' or on this windmill ?

Gilbert Deraedt :(

Thanks also to Chris

Roy Evans

Thanks for the replies but Gilbert has now raised another query!

As well as mentioning 'F' huts on 3 - 9 August, the diary goes on to mention three other stays in 'Canada Huts Dickebusch'. If these were the same ones, why would the diary differentiate?

Regards

Roy

Chris_Baker

I can't find F Huts on any of the maps I have. But having just re-read your original post I am not too surprised. The huts and camps of the early date of June 1915 were miniscule in proportion to the vast array of such places that had been built by 1917 and 1918. F Huts may have been absorbed into an expansion of a camp that eventually took another name. Quite a few large camps grew up around Ouderdom, although this small village was better known as a railhead, and it had an extensive network of railway lines: Ottawa Camp, Downshire Lines, Downshire Camp were all here (to the east and north-east of the village). Micmac Camp was quite near although that is more normally referred to as being at St Hubertushoek.

A number of camps in various locations with Canadian names existed by 1917: spread out along the Vlamertinge-Ouderdom road were Moose Jaw Fort, Vancouver Camp, Halifax Camp, Montreal Camp, Winnipeg Camp and Ottawa Camp (mentioned above). I believe this was the expansion of what had formerly been Canada Huts, but I am not 100% sure about that.

Paul Reed

While I haven't looked to check this location, it's worth consulting some of the post-April 1918 (German offensive) British trench maps, as the ground was then in German hands, and as such showed all the positions - including many of the camps (with names).

But Chris may have already done this?

zijde26

Ouderdom has a plaque commemorating this "Goedmoet" windmill and this 'Dickebusch Huts' camp. If interested I can send a scan of a picture showing this plaque.

Gilbert Deraedt :(

Cliff. Hobson

To zijde 26

I would like to see a scanned picture of the Plaque, Goedmoet Windmill and Dickebusch Huts. I have a diary of a A Sibbring, 4th Bn. N/Staffs who makes several references to "DICKY BUSH".

there are also two entries dated,

16th January 1918. " Left line went back for a rest to Presniges (?), no where to sleep Huts full of water.

17th January 1918. Snowing and raining went to Elverdinges (?) to get Tents got wet through.

Can someone tell me are these the same Huts in an enlarged camp.?

Cliff. Hobson.

zijde26

To Cliff,

The scanned picture is on its way. I hope you will receive it.

Gilbert Deraedt

zijde26

To All

'F camp' is also named Montreal Camp (see also http://www.kingandempire.com/agammell3.html ).

Montreal Camp is at Ouderdom on the road to Vlamertinghe and not far from Dickebusch Huts and the disappeared Goedmoet windmill

Gilbert Deraedt

WDPyke

Montreal Camp near Ypres seems to be mentioned a lot as a place where battalions rested between spells in trenches. Does anyone know where it was, and how safe it was?

Thanks.

Will

Phil Evans

The map reference is Sheet 28NW H.19.b

Along the same road you will also find Ottowa, Winnipeg, Halifax and Vancouver Camps.

Phil

WDPyke

Thank you both so much. Very helpful.

Will