Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

203rd Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery

Guest Clavell

Can anyone advise where I might find information on where this Battery was in action in France in June 1917? I am doing some research for an article for my Parish Magazine on Gunner William Ponting who was wounded on 22 June 1917 and buried with a BCWGC headstone in my village in Wiltshire

Many thanks Regards

Chris Blount

Chris,

I cannot help you with where the battery was positioned, or in what action, but his records indicate that he died from tetanus, from a GSW right arm, on the 22nd June 1917 at the Gen. Hos. Nottingham. This must have been inflicted before he returned to the UK on the 9th June.

Kevin

Guest Clavell

Kevin, thank you very much. your information is v. useful and grist to the mill. apologies for not replying sooner. Chris

Hello Chris

I can't add much but in case you are not aware would just like to highlight what Kevin mentioned above and that is his service records survive and can be viewed on Ancestry. (local library if you don't have a subscription).

He was first wounded on the 10th July according to the records but that date is also given for leaving France which might be too tight a time gap. If that date is correct 203 SB was with 25 Heavy Artillery Group then. They were part of 5th Army HQ. Unfortunately I don't think 203 SB war diaries survive and so far I have been unable to find the war diaries for 25 Brigade Royal Garrison Artillery which might have given battery positions. Maybe someone might be able to indicate what Corps 25 HAG was with. If you search this forum you will discover some indication of their position in May http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35137. This location is down near Arras I think. My guess is that by June they were or had moved to the Ypres area in preparation for the July offensive,

Good luck with your searches

Peter

Chris,

They had moved from 25 HAG to 52 HAG on the 18.6.17. On the 22nd 203 carried out CB shoots on hostile battery with aeroplane observation, 120 rounds were fired with good results obtained. There is no mention of casualties but it is noted there was also: “A certain amount of CB work by hostile artillery”. The HAG HQ position is shown as Le Don Camp.

CB = Counter Battery

Rgds

Paul

P.S. Peter, 25 HAG WD can be found under ref: WO95/303. Because it was an Army Brigade makes it more difficult to bring up in the catalogue.

Edit: Having now read the thread properly. 203 Joined 25 HAG on the 7.6.17 from IX Corps. The HAG HQ position was Pont de Nieppe (Nord) Sheet 36NW