Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC - who provided the additional information

David_Blanchard

My partners two great uncles were killed in June 1917 on board a British ship in the Mediterranean which was sunk by a U boat.

The additional information provided records:

Son of William and Mary J. Hodkinson, of 15, Albert Terrace, Highfield, Mossley, Manchester His twin brother Walter also died on the same day and the brothers are commemorated together on the Chatby Memorial .

The two brothers Percy and Walter Hodkinson were not twins- I would have thought the family would have provided this information - and they knew they were not twins- so who would have given these details?

Any ideas appreciated.

David

Yes I have always believed it was down to the family to provide the additional details.

John

It would be worth checking the original cemetery/memorial register to see if the wording is the same, or whether it is something added more recently.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. But why would something have been added more recently, and by whom?

David

PS a while ago I mistakenly mentioned on the GWF that they were twins killed on the same day, on a forum thread- could this information somehow been added?

Thanks for the replies. But why would something have been added more recently, and by whom?

Also interested to hear an explanation for that. I was told this sort of info came from an information form sent by the Nok

Generally it's the reverse with less information on current registers. Bradford have bound volumes of original registers in Local Studies in the old central library. They aren't on open access but I have consulted them in the past.

Keith

Hi,

David

The CWGC has added such information in the past, for example, that a casualty was the son of a famous father, such as Oscar Wilde or Rudyard Kipling, or that a casualty was the oldest known casualty, that sort of thing.

For example:

Son of William Webber, M.D., and Eliza Webber (nee Preston); husband of the late Emily Webber (nee Morris). Native of Horley, Surrey. For over 40 years a member of the London Stock Exchange. Henry Webber is the oldest known battle death recorded for the First World War.

Tom