Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Prince of Wales Civil Service Rifles Stretcher Bearer

Guest hbraun

I have discovered - amongst various odds and ends belonging to my late parents - an EPNS tankard bearing the CSR Prince of Wales insignia and engraved as follows

Stretcher Bearer's Prize

Lce.Sergt. G. Milner

Other than I know the CSR was disbanded in the 1920's, I can't find out much about it.

To the best of my knowledge G Milner is not a family name. I am wondering if anyone knows anything about this item and, indeed, about G Milner. I don't believe the tankard has much intrinsic value, but I would be interested in the history. I would be happy to pass it on to anyone with family connections to G Milner, or indeed if there is a collection of CSR memorabilia.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Hi try the following book by Jill knight

The Civil Service Rifles in the Great war 'All bloody gentlemen' ISBN 1-84415-253-7 published by Pen & Sword

regards

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Other than I know the CSR was disbanded in the 1920's, I can't find out much about it.

Not disbanded, as such, but amalgamated with the 16th London regiment (Queen's Westminster Rifles) to create the Queen's Westminster and Civil Service Rifles.

In addition to Jill Knight's book, there is a regimental history published just after the Great War, which might be available as a Naval & Military reprint.