Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MIC's

Stephen White

I've just downloaded the MIC for a William H Bishop,Pte 146008 of the MGC.His MIC has nothing entered against "Theatre of War first served in" or "date of entry therein".As i already know the location of and the number of medals he recieved,this was the information i was after.

I then noticed that all six MIC's in the batch that i downloaded are missing this information.Just how common is this,to not have this information entered on MIC's ??.

Stephen :unsure:

Stephen

For Other Ranks, this information was only entered if the chap was eligible for the 1914 or 1914/15 star. Officers' cards quite often have the information regardless of whether they were eligible.

Mick

Michael

Thank you for your prompt response.That's exactly what i wanted to know.

I know that he was awarded at least the BWM and VM as his son still has them to this day.Even though there is no date on the MIC,what you have said and and what the MIC tells us.At least confirms there are no missing Medal's.

I'll have to try for his service records (should they still exist) on my next visit to the PRO.For that date i was after.

Stephen :)

Stephen

Good luck with service records. As has been stated in other threads, there are rare occassions when there are separate cards, so have a quick look when you're at Kew (although I reckon this would have been picked up on your on-line search)

Mick

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Michael

Thank you for your prompt response.That's exactly what i wanted to know.

I know that he was awarded at least the BWM and VM as his son still has them to this day.Even though there is no date on the MIC,what you have said and and what the MIC tells us.At least confirms there are no missing Medal's.

I'll have to try for his service records (should they still exist) on my next visit to the PRO.For that date i was after.

Stephen :)

As its MGC good luck to you!

Ian

You'll have to excuse my ignorance on this one.What are the problems with the fact that he is MGC ??.

Stephen :unsure:

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Steven,

OR service records suffered the tragedy of the Blitz in 1940, however MGC OR records suffered a double whammy as the hut that they were stored in in 1930 was burnt to the ground. Some of those that survived were then destroyed 10 years later.

Ian :)

I have been told to try the MOD for my fathers personal records. All i have are his MGC numbers and am trying to find if he was in any other regiment or corp.I know he was a POW in 1918 and in waziristan in 1920-21.After reading about the trouble people seem to have in finding MGC information I was wondering whether it is worth paying to have a search done or save my money.

Regards

Chris

Steven,

OR service records suffered the tragedy of the Blitz in 1940, however MGC OR records suffered a double whammy as the hut that they were stored in in 1930 was burnt to the ground. Some of those that survived were then destroyed 10 years later.

Ian :)

Ian

Thanks for that,i was aware of what happened in 1940.However i knew nothing of what happened in 1930 with the MGC records.I now fully understand your comments and see what i am up against !!.

Stephen :D