Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Rockdoc

Lizz at Likovan

Rockdoc

I'm working with the Tim Mole of the SCS in a project to publish every edition of The Mosquito, the quarterly publication of the Salonika Reunion Association. I'm working on issues 81 to 120 and have reached 94 (June 1951), in which Lt-Col. T South recalls a comic song he wrote and sang in the 'Allied Concert Party.' It's a parody of 'Riding Down To Bangor' about a group of recruits coming to Salonika and their eventual trip to the Struma valley.One verse goes:

Then soon as reinforcements they're ordered to the front

By lorry and by Decauville they're off to bear the brunt

But with song and merry laughter they're happy to a man

And they don't forget to blow a kiss to Lizz at Likovan

It strikes me that 'Lizz' is more likely to be a gun, aeroplane or something more utilitarian than a friendly young lady. Can anyone shed any light on who 'she' might be?

I'd never heard of the song this is based on but there is a version on YouTube for anyone who cares to listen.

Keith

Gardenerbill

Hi @Rockdoc (Keith) I know you haven;t been on the forum for a while and this is an old topic, but thought this might be of interest, perhaps Liz might have been a common nickname in the Army for a big gun:

keithmroberts

It might be worth adding that the SCS have now published a disk with a scan of every edition of the Mosquito. Great work by Rockdoc, Tim and others who helped.

Keith