Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Newfoundland Memorial Park

berty199

Hi

I visited the Newfoundland Memorial Park back in January. The paths leading to Y Ravine, Hunter's Cemetery, 51st Division Monument etc. were blocked off, close to where the Danger Tree resides.

I'm going back at the weekend - does anybody know if this is still the case?

Many thanks

Martin

Haven't a clue, I am afraid, but if you find yourself in the same situation again (and it is only caused by H&S regulations pertaining to the steepness and slipperiness of the path at that point), use the agreed CWGC access routes to those places. These do not run through the upper part of the memorial. So, either walk along the signposted route from Beaumont Hamel village or take the track which runs down the side of the memorial past the director's house and enter the bottom end of the memorial through the gateway by Y Ravine cemetery.

Jack

Many thanks for the info Jack, I'll give it a go!

Regards

Martin

This memorial can be reached using the signposted farm track from the village up the hill to y ravine on foot or drive if you have a4x4. Or just walk past any no entry signs put up by the h&s people.

Thanks for all your responses here. I'll be there Monday next week so if anything's changed I'll let you all know!

Regards

Martin

Can you exit at the north of the park to get to Hawthorne cemetery?

There is a vehicle gate at the perimeter beside the highland memorial at y ravine but I dont think there is a path to the cemetery youd have to cross the fields.

J.

Hi all

Have just returned from a trip to the Somme - the park is fully accessible and looking as impressive as ever

Regards

Martin